Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2021, 07:56 PM

Default 1911a1, Why so Pricey?

This closed tonight. Looks like a nice pistol, but with the buyers premium it sold for $4600, and that's not including sales tax. So, what am I missing?
https://www.auctionninja.com/mcinnis...11a1-5262.html
Old 04-29-2021, 08:13 PM

IDK. Maybe it was the house photo that goosed the price (tongue firmly in cheek!). Looks fishy to me.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:00 AM

Pros: it's a 1941 (shipped 3 days after Pearl Harbor) that might be mostly correct ​and looks to have original finish.

Cons: grips are wrong, mag is unknown, barrel is unknown, slide SN is unknown.

If it were all correct, the price paid is not terrible especially considering what mixmasters are going for now. It's possible the buyer was able to inspect it in person and verify the slide, barrel, and mag and either doesn't know about the grips or doesn't care (they can be replaced).

I wouldn't have bought it with those few pics but if I was able to check it out and verify it was good (except the grips), I'd call it $3,500-$4,000 gun based on condition and rarity. I've seen worse buys.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:48 AM

A matching slide original will routinely go for $6g. The difference between a CMP mixmaster and an investment grade is $5g.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:52 AM

If all of the parts are original, I agree...it's not too bad of a price. However, there are still some unknowns due to the fact that there's no info or pics provided on other parts. The grip is wrong for the pistol.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:21 PM

I suspect this one is just shill bidding.

However, it’s a very strange time right now in the collectible milsurp market. New gun owners and shill bidding doesn’t account for all of it. A new collector doesn’t go straight from not owning anything to paying $4000 for a rare-ish firearm—you have to build up to that level of degeneracy.

I can’t quite explain it, but I think it has to do with existing collectors having a little more time on their hands during Covid because of absent commutes, less going out, and fewer outside distractions in general. Despite what the media implies, most Americans did not experience financial hardship in the past year. Trolling online sites and buying hard to find stuff that we kind of always wanted has become something to look forward to in a year of deferred plans.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:18 PM

First off shill bidding NO. To even imply this is a false claim and should not be considered unless you have absolute proof.

Most likely there were several bidder or even 5 or more bidders wanting this. It looks to be in very good condition. And in the current environment of selling and buying, the high prices are not uncommon.

If anyone has attended a well acclaimed auction house such as Rock Island, Morphy, Little Johns etc. There are hundreds of buyer in attendance. And now with more auction houses going to on line bidding there are even more buyer than before. It is not uncommon for the 2 or 3 and even 10 buyers wanting the same items.

All reasoning goes out the window when it comes to an auction. It comes down to I must have it and no one is going to out bid me and I don't care how much it costs. The eyes glaze over and the paddle stays in the air.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:32 PM

My gut tells me the slide Ser# doesn't match since this frame would have come with a numbered slide. My gut also tells me the slide doesn't have a serial number at all under the firing pin stop. Why? Because even if the number didn't match that would be a positive selling point. If it was there and DID match, HUGE positive selling point.

But, no pics!

My guess is people were bidding on the HOPE that there is a number there and the hope beyond hope that it is a match to the frame. Remember, auctions are a lot like gambling.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:08 PM

Seems like all the on line auctions go considerably higher... usually start with some outrageous starting bid or preliminary bid. If you look many never ever get a bid. Many times it's some pawn shop or local gun shop looking for a sucker. There's one born every minute.... If the auctions were straight auctions most would sell much much cheaper than the Bovine Scatalogy starting bid. thank you in advance. Junnie
Old 05-06-2021, 11:03 PM

My guess is that it was bid on and eventually bought by collectors who aren't aware of values, or more specifically what it cost to purchase versus what they go for at retail or online auction. For example, we all know what an M1 Rifle cost at CMP, but have you looked at what people are paying for them elsewhere? Why pay that much when you can go to CMP (in store or online) and get them cheaper. Which one is the "value"?

OR... it could be something more prominent, like the M1911A1 in Gunbroker that is claimed to be carried by the Commanding Officer who handed the flag to be raised on Iwo Jima. The seller says it was collected up, went back into inventory, and eventually after years of service, ended up with a Veteran's org, where he acquired it to sell on gunbroker.