Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2021, 08:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jim In Va
Default Carbine trigger problems

The trigger on my carbine is terrible! It is rough and very heavy. How do you clean up the trigger to a smooth, about 5lb trigger?
Thanks,
Jim in VA
Old 04-30-2021, 08:21 AM

I will confess to never fooling with it on a carbine, but the sear-to-hammer engagement could be polished I suppose. I just take the pull for what it is, but make sure the sear engagement is clean and the sear spring and it’s pocket are clean and lubed. However, there is another thing you can do, within reason. The carbine was designed to positively fire in adverse conditions. Water, dirt, mud and blood. One can safely reduce the hammer spring strength, which will have an effect on pull, yet still afford enough strength to deliver solid primer strikes. Hammer springs are relatively inexpensive to experiment with.

Last edited by 309Carbine; 04-30-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:52 AM

Parts are parts but not all the same. First do not have any commercial hammer springs. Some are too stiff. As 309 said you can try to cut a loop or two off the hammer spring.
Some manufacturers buffed the sear to hammer and sear to trigger contact areas.
A more expensive option is to get a late Inland trigger housing with all used US GI Inland parts. No new parts. Do not remove any metal from the sear or it could go fast on you.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:24 AM

I first started to consider hammer spring strength when pursuing some method to prevent the unmerciful bashing a spec. hammer and spring delivered to a commercial cast bolt. A spec. 26-1/2 coil hammer spring is +- 2.50”. I heat and collapse a few coils on each end to reduce the length to +- 1.965”. Anything much shorter will likely be problematic, but this spring will positively dimple and ignite any primer I have used.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:19 PM

Make sure you trigger and hammer pins are smooth (as well as the holes for them on the trigger and hammer & sear). Also make sure the sides of the trigger outside and inside of the trigger housing where the trigger fits are smooth.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:29 AM

Or, take to a reputable gunsmith and have the work done professionally. I'm not sure, but I think a 5 pound trigger pull in a carbine is not qualifying for shooting in matches.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:48 AM

Per TM 9-1276, "Trigger pull should be between 4 1/2-7 lbs. If the pull is rough or not within specified limits it indicates that there is wear or burrs on the sear nose, hammer notch or top of trigger lip, or interference between the trigger and housing."
Old 05-02-2021, 03:24 PM

Default Mix Master Parts For A Smooth Light Trigger? ...

What we, (I) did over years when the opportunity occurred, was to try many different combination of hammer, sear and trigger parts along with springs and pieces. Right now one particular M1 trigger housing group gives a very smooth 5 pound pull with a positive reset. Seems to work OK.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:29 PM

I'm going on memory here, but the winner of the Perry Carbine Match years ago wrote an article in the Carbine Club Newsletter about his experience.

He said the carbine he used could hold the 10 ring like nobody's business, but the trigger pull was 9 pounds. He decided not to mess with it for obvious reasons.

Not saying you shouldn't alter your trigger, or that you don't know your carbine, but just putting it out there for people who read this thread and may now think that their carbine trigger has to be x pounds or less to be a good shooter.

Last edited by TSimonetti; 05-02-2021 at 04:16 PM.