Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2021, 10:58 PM

Default Rear Sight Adjustment Tool Question

I recently acquired an M1 and the rear sight needs to be drifted right. Apparently it was an hour centered during repro. I was wondering if anyone in or near Madison County Alabama would be willing to let me borrow an adjustment tool so I donít have to buy one to drift one sight. Iím willing to come to you in order to use it.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:00 PM

I believe the rear sight installs from right to left as I recall so it sounds like it was installed a little too far left. You could remove the receiver from the stock and place in a well padded vice, apply a liberal amount of penetrating oil to the dove tail and use a mallet with a stout round wood dowel and tap the left side of the sight to the right till you get it where you want it. Keep the dowel low on the sight and not on the "wings" to avoid damage. The key is to go slow and build up the force till it moves. I have used this method to remove a rear sight without damage. I also read on this forum that someone has a Matrix rear sight tool who was willing to loan it out if you provide the postage to get the tool both ways. Matrix made a nice rear sight tool but was a bit pricey.

I found this by searching for borrowing rear sight tools. The fellow was loaning it out for $15 and asks only for a quick return when finished. You might reach out and see if he is still willing to do this. It is the Matrix tool and it works great.
Bob

#1 Report Post
Old 01-04-2020, 09:56 PM
Default Rear sight tool
Iím not sure if this belongs here, but I was in recent need of a rear sight removal tool to complete my Standard Products restoration and couldnít find one on the secondary market, I only needed to use it once. I finally just caved and bought a new one made by Matrix, it works pretty damn well. Anyways, if there are any other guys out there that might need this tool but donít want to buy one, I would be happy to rent it out to whoever might need it for $15 shipped to you. All I ask is that you ship it back as soon as youíre done and send it insured. This fits perfect in a USPS small flat rate priority box and that includes insurance for under $8 I believe. I apologize if this doesnít belong here, just trying to help out fellow collectors on this great forum that has helped me out many times.
Phil
chipmpd@gmail.com

Last edited by Big_Red; 05-19-2021 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old 05-01-2021, 04:57 PM

Thanks. Might be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperbob View Post
I found this by searching for borrowing rear sight tools. The fellow was loaning it out for $15 and asks only for a quick return when finished. You might reach out and see if he is still willing to do this. It is the Matrix tool and it works great.
Bob

#1 Report Post
Old 01-04-2020, 09:56 PM
Default Rear sight tool
Iím not sure if this belongs here, but I was in recent need of a rear sight removal tool to complete my Standard Products restoration and couldnít find one on the secondary market, I only needed to use it once. I finally just caved and bought a new one made by Matrix, it works pretty damn well. Anyways, if there are any other guys out there that might need this tool but donít want to buy one, I would be happy to rent it out to whoever might need it for $15 shipped to you. All I ask is that you ship it back as soon as youíre done and send it insured. This fits perfect in a USPS small flat rate priority box and that includes insurance for under $8 I believe. I apologize if this doesnít belong here, just trying to help out fellow collectors on this great forum that has helped me out many times.
Phil
chipmpd@gmail.com