Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
In the early 1990ís I was at a Transitional revolver to semi-auto handgun training school where a National Guard Unit was training at the same time. One of the Sgt.ís came over and asked if anyone had a .45 ACP handgun as he had one box of .45 ACP that he had to get rid of, but that he had to turn in the empty shell casings in order to clear his books.

We gladly helped him out. IMHO, being familiar with government purchasing methods, special needs ammunition for specialized Units were most likely ordered on an as needed basis and generally not stockpiled in huge amounts.

Oh yeah, picking up and counting the brass...

I'm not sure how much.45 gets expended in fun land but for all other calibers, the amount is astounding. An entire ship devoted to munitions made 4 or more trips a year to keep the theater supplied. It was part of my job to track the ship few times while over there.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567
Old 05-05-2021, 04:02 AM

Mike, which Theatre are you talking about?

I was in from 80-2000 - we were still using the 45 acp in Europe my first year there in 1993 and 1994 - ammo was Israel if I remember right, it for sure was in 9mm
I also remember using new Winchester at several assignments, as being an MP, it was considered a primary weapon, just like the M16a2.
In my collection of ammo, I have 1960's USA 38 special in the white boxes and 70's and 80's 45 acp.
But it all depends on if it is held on hand just in case. I know that in the Iraqi theatre (rumors, I only saw 9mm while there in 2010) that any 45 acp was purchased in bulk, new. As said above, the vast majority was used up. However, I would venture to say that there are tens of thousands of rounds in 45 acp - here or there - there always are.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post

I was in from 80-2000 - we were still using the 45 acp in Europe my first year there in 1993 and 1994 - ammo was Israel if I remember right, it for sure was in 9mm
I also remember using new Winchester at several assignments, as being an MP, it was considered a primary weapon, just like the M16a2.
In my collection of ammo, I have 1960's USA 38 special in the white boxes and 70's and 80's 45 acp.
But it all depends on if it is held on hand just in case. I know that in the Iraqi theatre (rumors, I only saw 9mm while there in 2010) that any 45 acp was purchased in bulk, new. As said above, the vast majority was used up. However, I would venture to say that there are tens of thousands of rounds in 45 acp - here or there - there always are.

Unfortunately, they'd need to "discover" a cache of 10s, or realistically, 100s of millions of rounds to even make a small dent in the supply of surplus ammo to US civilian shooters.
Example that comes to mind is the Greek HXP M2.
Under Orest, as he told us back then, the CMP purchased roughly 100 million rounds of surplus HXP from Greece, in many different can configurations. That would have been sometime in the early 2000s time frame. I remember purchasing my first cans in March of 2009 for $65 per 192 clipped spam can so about .33 per round. That 100 million rounds was exhausted by around 2015-16 iirc. And there definitely is way more interest in more folks buying ammo today then then, so any supply, depending on how it's priced would sell quickly. I highly doubt we'll ever see any substantial surplus ammo in any caliber again.
It had to run out sometime.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor

Last edited by Craftsman; 05-05-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:01 AM

The last 45 (1911) I saw was around 1991.
Since then and in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's been M9's.
Which in turn has several years now been replaced by the SIG.

Except, maybe, the Marine MEUSOC (sp?), noone has used 45 ammo for decades...……
Old 05-05-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
The last 45 (1911) I saw was around 1991.
Since then and in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's been M9's.
Which in turn has several years now been replaced by the SIG.

Except, maybe, the Marine MEUSOC (sp?), noone has used 45 ammo for decades...ÖÖ
Even before the adoption of the M18 by the USMC in 2019, some MEUSOC units began transitioning away from the M45 in favor of the Glock 19M. I donít know if the M45 is still in use with MEUSOC but I would bet that, if so, there are few in use.

As a side note, the CMP use to sell USGI .45 ACP match ammo at the National Matches. It sold for something like $6 per carton. I was surprised that they had any available for as long as they did but in about 2000, they expended their stock and I havenít seen any since. That was two decades ago.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:24 AM

Fun Land = the desert from 2003-2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567
Old 05-22-2021, 08:36 AM

Started reloading .45, one of the easiest calibers to reload, a few years back, and I haven't looked back.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:57 PM

In the mid 1980s some MPs in the Texas National Guard where qualifying with their 1911A1s. All the pistols were malfunctioning. Turns out they were using 185 grain Match wadcutter ammo.

The guy running the range asked why they were using that ammo. The reply was, that's the only .45 they could find.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:16 PM

If there was any it would NOT go to the CMP. Policy forbids transfer of US Government ammunition to us citizens.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammolab View Post
If there was any it would NOT go to the CMP. Policy forbids transfer of US Government ammunition to us citizens.
Thatís an interesting statement. I know that the CMP has sold quite a bit of USGI ammunition. Some of it to me!!