Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2021, 09:53 PM

Default M1 Carbine Flip Rear Sight Keeps Falling Off

I recently acquired a really nice National Postal Meter M1 Carbine. It had the adjustable sights but I was able to source a correct Flip Sight. The dovetail seems to have been loosened somewhat so the flip sight doesn't have any traction at all.

I tried loctite and after about 40 rounds of shooting it came loose (despite curing 48 hours), and I am at a loss of what to do.

Here is a video of my issue: https://youtu.be/znEMq_JkdMc

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated, otherwise I will send it to an expert, but I feel there has to be a way to solve this. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2021, 11:47 PM

Does the Adj sight go back on tightly? Where did you buy that flip sight? Also in your video your flip sight is backwards.

Last edited by W5USMC; 05-02-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:04 AM

Default Flip sight loose

Looks to me your flip sight is not USGI. I would try to find someone with a known original and go from there.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:12 PM

+1 on the sight being a repro. If you did want to move ahead with it, you could try a shim or using a punch on the sight base. Though I think an adjustable sight is better than a repro...
Old 05-03-2021, 02:55 PM

I had the same problem with a Type II rear sight. I shimmed it with a flattened piece of brass that I clipped off the end of a .22 LR case. Plus I used some Loctite.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:56 PM

You can also use a spring loaded center punch on the lip of the sight, the part that slides into the dovetail. Punch it many times before installing. You can do the bottom side also if needed.
There is so much residual oil held in the parkerizing, Loctite will not hold.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5USMC View Post
Does the Adj sight go back on tightly? Where did you buy that flip sight? Also in your video your flip sight is backwards.
The adj. sight goes on tightly. The flip sight came from eBay, so maybe I've been had... I'll take it up with the seller.

As far as being on backwards, I always thought the conical side faces the shooter, and the flat side faces away?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS-67 View Post
Looks to me your flip sight is not USGI. I would try to find someone with a known original and go from there.
I think that's the consensus here unfortunately. Looks like I've been duped. I'll find a USGI one and go from there.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
+1 on the sight being a repro. If you did want to move ahead with it, you could try a shim or using a punch on the sight base. Though I think an adjustable sight is better than a repro...
I will take it up with the seller on eBay since he claimed it to be an original but will accept a return apparently. Then I'll hunt down a USGI NPM flip sight. It had a little cosmoline on it and rust when I got it, so I figured it was authentic.... Oh well.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSmithEddy View Post
I had the same problem with a Type II rear sight. I shimmed it with a flattened piece of brass that I clipped off the end of a .22 LR case. Plus I used some Loctite.
So did you essentially wedge the brass under the dovetail's edge? I think I follow what you're saying, but I am trying to visualize it.

Tags
carbine, flip, loose, rear, sight