Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2021, 01:50 PM

I was at a gun show recently and saw three different guys (all well under 50) ogling a lone Garand that was for sale across from my table with $$$ in their pocket. Before the show ended it went to the first person to pull the Benjamins out of his pocket. Several MUCH younger lads also were quite interested in the rifle but cash strapped.

I DO have a working theory about how such things will play out after I'm gone. That theory being "I DON'T CARE ANYMORE''. LOL
Old 10-21-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
The interest has certainly dropped on this CMP forum.. I remember when there were all kinds of long discussions about these rifles, their history, the correct parts, hints and tips on every facet of M1 Garands. Someone would ask a question and the discussion would go on between many people, for several pages. You don't see much of that any more. The experts seldom post their pictures or join in the discussions any more. When they did, there was a great deal of information shared. One day in 2019 there was over 34,000 viewers on the forum. Now days there there is seldom more than 1000.
I agree.........................Not the same as it once was
Old 10-21-2021, 03:19 PM

I for one agree with several above. The Garand is history. I have a collection of U.S. military firearms which I will keep till Iím gone. Hopefully, my extended family will cherish them and keep them as a piece of history. Oh yeah, go out and put rounds down range once in a while Thatís what their for.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:30 PM

Well, mine are already spoken for and I ain't dead. My kids, and nephews (dont have any nieces) are gonna be well covered. Need a couple more carbines then they all will a garand and a carbine with some spares. they can fight amongst themselves for the bayonets and ammo.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:58 AM

I have about 18 M1, including a Beretta and Breda Danish Contract, an authentic Italian Breda made Tipo-2 and a Tim Shufflin built Bm-59. I have no children and I doubt that my two nephews are interested in any of my firearms, so, at some point, over the next 10-15 years, I will have to sell off everything. No one in my family knows anything about my firearms and accessories; they don;t want them, so I will have to sell it all.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:23 AM

There will always be interest in the M1 Garand. In the future I think the big difference will be that young and new collectors won't feel the need to have 18 of them...or get their 8 per year via the CMP. They'll have one representative example.

Of course, quality will always demand high prices. But run of the mill rack, field, and service grades 15, 20, 30 years down the road...I could certainly see a downward trend in their value. They certainly aren't scarce.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:38 AM

Most will decline in real value, it just wonít be readily apparent because of inflation.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:04 AM

My oldest son and Marine nephew are the only members of the next generation interested in military firearms, I will sell my M1s except for the 3 post-war correct grades and the one WW2 correct grade, maybe a sniper or two, one shooter for my use while I'm still above ground. My son can take his pick and pass the others on to the nephew. I am confident that the correct grades will hold their value quite well.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:37 AM

Default Such a true statement

This rings so True Amit
Being a 1911 Collector I had no m1ís in the early y2k era I started with a January 41 Springfield and developed a desire for a Winchester, You helped me put back a Win-13 Barreled receiver that I had got thru a member from the north store back in 2011 I doubt I will recover what I have invested in it but what I remember vividly was the help from members of the past with sourcing parts and advice, For me it was a great time to learn subtle things like HRA rifles with LMR barrels and IHC built rifles with Springfield Receivers.
What I also find unique as this wasnít just with M1ís 1911 manufactured pistols were the same way Ithaca had to be bailed out by Springfield and Colt 2-3 times their first 6 months of production was pretty bad and they were desperately needed
Look at how Rock-ola needed bailed out
All these subtleties learned here and I am sure they arenít discussed anymore, Part of it is the forum platform versus getting on something as easy as Facebook I watched a big move to FB for the ease of posting pictures and discuss old military firearms but what I did learn is few of us boomers made to move to it, However It got so bad that they were so anti firearm related that I left and I try to be on the boards more here,
As for posting pictures I havenít mastered a way to do it with a iPad
A big change from using a computer back when I started 🙄
Bottom line keep trying to help the new collectors and maybe some will have our passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
The interest has certainly dropped on this CMP forum.. I remember when there were all kinds of long discussions about these rifles, their history, the correct parts, hints and tips on every facet of M1 Garands. Someone would ask a question and the discussion would go on between many people, for several pages. You don't see much of that any more. The experts seldom post their pictures or join in the discussions any more. When they did, there was a great deal of information shared. One day in 2019 there was over 34,000 viewers on the forum. Now days there there is seldom more than 1000.

33+ transactions, 100% Positive Itrader rating,
My feedback
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ght=apprentice

My precious:

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/ca...GN_spell2.html
Old 10-22-2021, 07:53 AM

Yes as gray hairs die so does demand. Seen it with Browning auto 5"s and Winchester Model 12"s. The Under forty crown want Plastic pistols and Ar's and modern plastic wonders. Throw aways. Colts and Smith Wesson old wheel guns just sit unless a gray hair buys it. Things are shifting in the force to the younger throw away crowd.