Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2021, 06:10 PM

Default What to do with this old rack grade

When I was a kid I saw a color photo of a troop next to a tree with a birch stocked M-1 and ever since then I've wanted one like that with dark park. I have the stock set and this rack grade and I was thinking about reparking it but I also like to keep things as they are received. I've had this one for probably 12 years or more and have no idea on the history beyond getting it from the CMP for 450.

I thought about trying to find a receiver and then build one but I'm trying to save money and I need another M1 like I need a hole in my head.

Any and all input welcome for plans for this rifle[emoji16]

51 dated barrel.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2021, 06:21 PM

Not sure what you are trying to say? Looks like you have a complete & functioning M1. Shoot it, enjoy it.
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:28 PM

Hello sir, I'd have a hard time keeping that in the safe.. but I guess I would take it off your hands just for you to be rid of it

100% satire, and totally joking!!!

In all seriousness I would not change a thing, it appears to be a nice rifle and I wish for you the utmost enjoyment from it.

Last edited by JPT; 08-03-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltgrabber View Post
Not sure what you are trying to say? Looks like you have a complete & functioning M1. Shoot it, enjoy it.
Refinish and put it in the Birch or leave it as is.

I'm torn[emoji44]

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2021, 07:33 PM

You say you donít need another Garand, so Iím not sure if it have others that you are happy with. Sounds like you are not happy with this rifle. Another option is to just sell it. Iím sure youíll get more than Etsy you paid. Then either buy one you like or order a service grade, which should be better. Hard to tell from your photos, but the gas cylinder could definitely use refinish. Howís the heel stamp on the receiver? The barrel looks pretty dark.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:52 PM

If it were mine I'd send it to Hueygunner and have him refinish all the metal. He can park the metal and will chemically black the gas cylinder assembly to military spec. When finished it'll look like a new rifle. Birch stock sets come up for sale here from time to time so when one does jump on it and there you go. The rifle you wanted.
Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM

Wow that is one good looking rifle… if it were me I’d leave it as is. I have a FG on order and would be quite happy if it turns out like yours.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

Try to get the birch wood first. It's what you've always wanted so that's a no brainer it would seem. There is a chance that the lighter wood will make the metal look dark enough for your tastes and you won't need to repark. USGI Birch is not very expensive and you can trade/sell your walnut to basically get your birch for free.

If you find that you want to repark later, you can always do it.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

I've got the Birch set already. I had it on my 7.62x51 I built a while back but changed that with some new CMP wood for a tight fit. This one has zero finish left, just the brown patina. With all my other milsurps I'm usually against refinishing if original, but don't know if this is better left original for history sake since its such an old rack grade. Don't know the history of this or where it came from and don't want to ruin the collectibality of it. I have several others that are very nice SG's and a couple FG's that wont be changed. If I reparked I was going to do it when I do the parts for my Dane build. Probably wont be for another couple months.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

I really like your rifle the way it is, wouldn't change a thing.
As to your Birch stock set, it's the perfect excuse to pick up a rifle that needs decent wood.

"Don't need another M1".
Who are you kidding ? Of course you need another one. You just don't realize it yet.