Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2021, 09:44 AM

Default Regarding the question “Are M1s scarce?”

While it is conceivable that at some point the CMP may no longer have M1s to sell, I think all of us on this forum know of others who have scores stowed away! As more and more time passes, it is also conceivable that the M1 Garand may lose its current value & as we older collectors die off, I wouldn’t sweat not being able to buy one. It may cost a little more or a lot less, but it won’t look like a trotline sinker either.
405th Air Police Sq., USAF
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 10-21-2021, 09:54 AM

I doubt they lose their current value. I know plenty of the younger generation that would love to own one (or multiple), but cannot afford them yet. As they get older, they have more money to play with.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:55 AM

In attending real auctions in the midwest, some on Proxibid and live in house, I am seeing very strong prices on most firearms, military and commercial. M1 and M1 carbines are bringing much over CMP prices. It seems that the demand is staying above supply for now at least. Good Shooting.....
Old 10-21-2021, 10:33 AM

The collections of Civil War weapons, militaria, etc. should serve as a cautionary tale.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
The collections of Civil War weapons, militaria, etc. should serve as a cautionary tale.
I've never followed civil war era anything. Are you meaning value will drop?
Old 10-21-2021, 12:28 PM

yes, and prices go up and down. Look at Colt SSA, they went up drastically because of many reasons in the 50's and 60's.

They have episodes of antique roadshow and they will show items from 20 yrs ago, worth say, $1500-2000 and today it is estimated that the value is the same or less, sometimes the value goes up. All depends on what folks are collecting at the moment.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:42 PM

Ive said it before on this forum and was lambasted for it but the above information is exactly correct. You can look at pre-64 winchesters and custom mausers as well.

As the older generation dies off (talking boomers here) their collections flood the market and by and large the gen x and millennials are not into the same stuff.

Prices will not stay high forever...they will come down.

Que people waving their arms yelling about the droves of young people at garand shoots and GCA conventions and tales of grandchildren etc...

By and large people under the age of 40 are into tactical type guns or cheap junk like ruger americans etc...
Old 10-21-2021, 12:42 PM

I would guess that when the CMP runs out of rifles the prices will rise at a greater rate. Once the "easily" available M1s are gone, it will just be up to private collectors trickling in rifles to the market. You have to remember its not just the CMP buffing supply into the market but people flipping CMP rifles that is buffing the supply. Once supply drops, prices will most likely skyrocket. This of course assumes demand stays the same. It could go up or down. The video game Call of Duty is releasing a WWII version this year, it could spike interest in the younger market and spike demand.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:44 PM

For the record i hope it stays elevated and these fine rifles are always coveted and sought after. If nothing else it will keep them well cared for and preserved.

I have no skin in the game...i have a lifetime supply and will never sell them.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:14 PM

The interest has certainly dropped on this CMP forum.. I remember when there were all kinds of long discussions about these rifles, their history, the correct parts, hints and tips on every facet of M1 Garands. Someone would ask a question and the discussion would go on between many people, for several pages. You don't see much of that any more. The experts seldom post their pictures or join in the discussions any more. When they did, there was a great deal of information shared. One day in 2019 there was over 34,000 viewers on the forum. Now days there there is seldom more than 1000.