Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2021, 03:05 AM

Are they charging the extra $100.00 for the Battlefield pick up look with the rust and pitting ? Oh boy Ive done it now,Flame on!
Old 10-23-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Deuce View Post
Are they charging the extra $100.00 for the Battlefield pick up look with the rust and pitting ? Oh boy Ive done it now,Flame on!
They were underpriced before. The installed barrel and stock alone costs over $400 on the open market.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:57 AM

A caution on simply swapping out barrels, the headspace still needs to be correct, and there's no guarantee you will have that with a simple barrel swap. Too short and there's a risk of slamfire out of battery, Too long and there's the risk of case failure. There's a narrow range of a few thousandths of an inch for proper headspace.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
A caution on simply swapping out barrels, the headspace still needs to be correct, and there's no guarantee you will have that with a simple barrel swap. Too short and there's a risk of slamfire out of battery, Too long and there's the risk of case failure. There's a narrow range of a few thousandths of an inch for proper headspace.
Absolutely! Probably should not have assumed it was understood. Sent a couple receivers to Shuff and both came back great. I wouldnít attempt it myself because of lack of knowledge and experience. Sure donít want to give bad advice!
Old 10-23-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
Agreed; the Criterion barrels come with the chambers short so they can be finish reamed to the proper headspace for the receiver and bolt they go on. Seems like Iíve seen around $100 advertised for that serviceÖ personally Iíd wait and see if they come out with a .308 version.

A special rack in 30-06 will be my next purchase for the purpose of JCG matches. I donít care about the pitting.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
They were underpriced before. The installed barrel and stock alone costs over $400 on the open market.
I have not bought one to tell the truth,But I do know most everything we buy,we get a pretty good deal on compared to for porofit bussinesses,So to technicaly remain a Non Profit you would think they should be cheaper than regular retail establishments,Otherwise there really n ot a non profit if they charge the same prices as profitable bussinesses.

Thats what the program was set up to do was to teach Marksmenship to the Public by making it easily affordable for the public to participate right?

At least I always thought that.It has really grown in to quite an operation,Im wondering when certain elements of the public who do not like firearms may attack the aspect that the CMP is not operateing as a Non Profit and is more of a bussiness for profit and has out lived its designated purpouse and they try to portray it as an organization for profit that puts underpriced deadly guns all over america or some such nonsence as that.

I sure hope the CMP has prepared for that day.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:42 AM

Just dropped an order in the mail. Need another Garand, or any other firearm, like I need another hole in my head. However I've learned the hard way over the years that endless supplies of anything always dry up AND things that seem overpriced today are tomorrows missed bargains. Once the Philippine returns disappear these rack and special rack grades may look pretty good in hind site. Kinda like when you missed lunch and those week old leftovers taste mighty good for dinner.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Deuce View Post
So to technicaly remain a Non Profit you would think they should be cheaper than regular retail establishments,Otherwise there really n ot a non profit if they charge the same prices as profitable bussinesses
I know this is getting off topic of the OP, but this is not a true statement re non-profit organizations. A non-profit organization can charge whatever they want for the product, service, etc they are offering regardless of typical selling prices on the for-profit market, as long as any monies received which exceed expenses are committed back to the organization's stated purpose, and not taken as income or distribution to any individuals.

Last edited by DP68; 10-23-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP68 View Post
I know this is getting off topic of the OP, but this is not a true statement re non-profit organizations. A non-profit organization can charge whatever they want for the product, service, etc they are offering regardless of typical selling prices on the for-profit market, as long as any monies received which exceed expenses are committed back to the organization's stated purpose, and not taken as income or distribution to any individuals.
DP68 is absolutely correct, a non-profit has as much right to price themselves out of the market as any for-profit does. In the case of the CMP I think all of us reading this have the right to go buy our functional, historic and sometimes rare Garand's wherever we want and let he market drive our loyalties. And after the market has done its work, we will all still be buying our functional, historic and sometimes rare Garand's right here from the CMP. We are fortunate in 2021 to be participating in the "Government sanctioned"(?) fun we are here today. God Bless the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Salute. The End.

Last edited by Wichita Lineman; 10-23-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:50 PM

I don't know if the Rack Grade Special that I bought about a year ago was from the Philippines or not but it had very little pitting above the wood. I picked it up at the South store. I'm not sure if I would have ordered one sight unseen but being able to hand select it I knew what I was getting and as far as I'm concerned it was the best $650 I've ever spent.
https://i.imgur.com/o3aJPoV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/adNIClJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jOlyV1I.jpeg