X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griff557
    • Apr 2016

Mini Palma...KYL

Looking at going down another rabbit hole I don’t know a whole about. What can you tell me about Mini-Palma and Know Your Limits (KYL) matches. How much scope do you need? Would a first focal or second focal plane scope be better ? I think I want an AO that would go to 50’ so I could use it for indoor small bore matches also. I currently shoot iron sights on an older 1407 Annie. I don’t know if I would scope that rifle or build a new one so Iam open to any suggestions
  • MajorD
    • Oct 2009

A side focus parallax is much easier to deal with than an adjustable objective.
    Firstfocal plane is better. This allows continued consistent hold off regardless of magnification level. A second focal plane means the subtending markings on the reticle only match zero/ drop at one sweet spot in the magnification range ( usually the middle, so for example with 2nd FP in a 4-12 scope only at 8x does it match. )
    I use an Athlon Argos 6-24 ( pretty cheap at around $300) and is very good for the price.first focal plane, zero stop, side focus parallax

Comment

• MajorD
      • Oct 2009

I use my one general purpose.22 for rimfire silhouette matches and nrl22 which uses a lot of kyl targets, plus lots of varied positions and target types at varying ranges. It is a simple cheap savage mark II FV-SR lots of rifle for just around $250.

Comment

• Calfed
        • Dec 2009

I shoot in a every-other-week mini Palma match @ 100 yards. I use an old 6-24x40 Bausch and Lomb on my Winchester 52D and a straight 36X B&L target scope on my Remington 40XB.

I would recommend a 24 power as a minimum for 100 yards. I think any power between 24 and 36 would be good for 100 yards.

In the off weeks, I shoot a 50 yard match with a Winchester 52B that has a 6-18x40 Nikon. That's OK for 50 yards, but a little light for 100 yards.

Personally, I think a SFP scope is fine for known distances, but opinions vary on that question.
        Last edited by Calfed; 03-04-2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Skeet6
          GSM Master Instructor
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Griff557 View Post
          Looking at going down another rabbit hole I don’t know a whole about. What can you tell me about Mini-Palma and Know Your Limits (KYL) matches. How much scope do you need? Would a first focal or second focal plane scope be better ? I think I want an AO that would go to 50’ so I could use it for indoor small bore matches also. I currently shoot iron sights on an older 1407 Annie. I don’t know if I would scope that rifle or build a new one so Iam open to any suggestions
          If you really want to do "mini Palma" use open sights. (Aperture front and rear)
          Mike B
          CMP GSM Master Instructor
          NRA Range Safety Officer
          Still searching for WRA 1614856.

Comment

• Griff557
            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Skeet6 View Post
            If you really want to do "mini Palma" use open sights. (Aperture front and rear)
            Mike B
            I bet that would be a challenge-Maybe I’ll take the Annie out and give it a try. Almost all the guys I shoot indoor with are running optics we do an “iron sight” match once a season and they get a little dose of reality

Comment

• canes7
              • Oct 2009

It’s not real mini-Palma unless you shoot irons. There is a great sense of accomplishment piling on X’s with. .22 and metallic sights.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Dan W.
              CMP HP Master
              DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics

Comment

• Calfed
                • Dec 2009

What size are the mini-Palma targets used with the iron sights?

Comment

• canes7
                  • Oct 2009

Search LR-S targets.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Dan W.
                  CMP HP Master
                  DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics

Comment

• Calfed
                    • Dec 2009

Thanks

Comment

• Griff557
                      • Apr 2016

So for giggles today I took my Annie to the range with aperture sights and shot at 100yds off the bench using a rest. I tried three different kinds of cheap target ammo. I have no idea if my results are good, bad, or otherwise. I was more concerned about elevation spread than windage (there was about a 6-8mph wind from right to left).

I made an aiming black the same size as a 800 yard mini Palma target and just used my 50 foot zero and shot for an overall group size (FWIW it was about 10” low)

RWS Target 10 rds
                      Vertical spread 1moa
                      Horizontal spread 1.3 moa

Geco Rifle 10 rds
                      Vertical spread 1 moa
                      Horizontal spread 1.6 moa

Geco Match Rifle 10 rds
                      Vertical spread 0.8 moa
                      Horizontal spread 1.6 moa

Link to Mini Palma target sizes

https://imgur.com/a/DgcVThJ

Comment

• X Hunter
                        • Oct 2009

I found some links. from here https://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff...e_targets.html

Make sure your printer is set to actual size, not shrink to fit.

800 yd Palma target reduced for 100yd Smallbore
                        https://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff...0MiniPalma.pdf

900 reduced to 100

1000 reduced to 100
                        Last edited by X Hunter; 03-05-2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Griff557
                          • Apr 2016

I found Mini Palma targets on pistoleer.com should be here next week...just figured it was easier

Comment

• Calfed
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by canes7 View Post
                            It’s not real mini-Palma unless you shoot irons. There is a great sense of accomplishment piling on X’s with. .22 and metallic sights.
                            I guess what I'm shooting is really "mini F class" then. These were my targets from last week...a 100 yard match

Last edited by Calfed; 03-07-2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Griff557
                              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Calfed View Post
                              I guess what I'm shooting is really "mini F class" then. These were my targets from last week...a 100 yard match

Nice looking targets. What ammo where you using ? My Mini Palma targets came hopefully I get chance to get to the range soon. With the current ammo situation all I have to choose from are the three cheap ones I shot last week-I thought they did ok for what they are. I don’t know that I can shoot up to the standards of expensive target ammo anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X