Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_OH View Post
There's been a report on reddit of a case head failure causing damage to someone's garand.
Saw a shooter today using Turkish MKE 64 headstamped ammo have a split in one of his cases. It left his stock in pieces. Luckily he seemed okay. The split in his case was about half an inch long and went from about the extractor groove towards the case mouth.
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

well dang that is three reports of mke 64 popping that is the year of the 300 rounds I got I feel bad because I started this thread and probably the only reason some people bought this stuff.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW99 View Post
well dang that is three reports of mke 64 popping that is the year of the 300 rounds I got I feel bad because I started this thread and probably the only reason some people bought this stuff.
I've only seen two, the one on Reddit (which was posted with a link to it on here) and the recent one today in this thread. Where is the other failure reported at?

I've ordered 3K rounds and the vast majority has been 65 and later production:

- Out of 2k rounds (not in sealed spam cans), some 1964 mixed in with various 70s production dates (75, 76 and 78), most of the ammo was 70's production.
- 1K rounds (1965) came in a sealed spam can.

I have not had a chance to shoot any of it and won't for a while. But I did an inspection on various 1964 rounds and did not notice any defects.
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

I bought 800 rounds of the Turk M2, 1963 headstamp, gave it a good review after the first trip to the range with it, functioned well and was accurate. Then a couple weeks later I was shooting another box of it and had a case head split on the 13th round. The split was located at the top of the extractor so all the gas came out of the top of the rifle and didn't break my stock, only damage to the rifle was some minor gas cutting on the bolt face. the rifle checked out alright and worked fine on the next range outing with some usgi M2 and some reloads. link to pictures.
https://imgur.com/a/y2M6kdz

Last edited by wfost9901; Yesterday at 09:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Ouch! Splits at the mouth of a case are not so bad. But, a "M split," i.e., primer pocket out to the rim, is very serious. Understand that when observed in US Army, etc., entire lot number was condemned as dangerous. Have had only one M split using Yugoslavian 8mm ball produced in the 50's. Got some brass in my eyebrow and forehead. My glasses protected my eyes. Glasses were a little pock marked. Rifle was a 98/24. No damage at all. Keep your heads up and your eyes open!!! Sincerely. bruce.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

When I started using high powered MilSurp rifles in mid-1970's, the conventional wisdom as imparted to me was along the lines of "if it looks good, it will shoot good, clean your rifle good too". I would buy odd lots of older US ammo for my (low numbered) M1903 at gun shows and have a merry good time and reload it all to do again. At some point one summer in late 1970's I noticed a small split in one case as I was reloading. "Hmmmm -- thats odd" and put aside. Later - another instance at the range was a loud noise, and a substantial puff of wind on my face. It was a severely split case. Both were FA 3x, pretty sure FA31 but cannot find them right now

This scared me good and I quit using the older ammo, and began shooting more modern things like FN5x without any issues.

At some point in 1990's I figured out (thanks Beau Kansteiner) that it was a known problem with Frankford Arsenal - particularly FA31. Link to a GB article here -
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/19...-3006.1123091/

At that point I moved up to using ammo and cases from the 1970's or newer (and some NM cases I have acquired)

Most accounts I recall at the time laid these failures off to poor brass metallurgy, although newer thoughts are that the tooling was worn or defective, and not limited to FA31

Anyway - I have greatly curtailed my shooting as i have become a (mostly) responsible adult since mid-1990's and favor much newer ammo. I have a substantial amount of FN5x that is sort of my "reserve".

Pic below from the GB article should cure anyone from shooting ammo now 50 to nearly 100 years old! It also applies in my mind to using any ammo made under duress, from "third world countries" or similar. If any of my FA ammo resurfaces - I'm pulling the bullets, punching the primers and reassembling as collector pieces. I am also NOT reloading any ammo older than I am (1957).

Last edited by MGMKS; Yesterday at 11:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genin88 View Post
I've only seen two, the one on Reddit (which was posted with a link to it on here) and the recent one today in this thread. Where is the other failure reported at?

I've ordered 3K rounds and the vast majority has been 65 and later production:

- Out of 2k rounds (not in sealed spam cans), some 1964 mixed in with various 70s production dates (75, 76 and 78), most of the ammo was 70's production.
- 1K rounds (1965) came in a sealed spam can.

I have not had a chance to shoot any of it and won't for a while. But I did an inspection on various 1964 rounds and did not notice any defects.
The third was reply to the reddit post it was wfost post.I do not know what to do with mine what do you think could handle a case head failure.

Last edited by JPW99; Today at 12:06 AM.
Old Today, 05:28 AM

Well that saves me from getting burned. Not going to buy it now. I'll keep reloading my own.