Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2020, 07:59 AM

Default Carbine mags on Auction : insane bidding

I am simply asking why two WWII carbine magazines would be so highly bidded when such mags are really common to find.

Can some one break the code for me ?
Old 12-04-2020, 09:17 AM

I bought two M1911 mags on Gunbroker for $48.00 same mag on CMP auction two going over $200.00!
Itís Crazy!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:54 AM

There are folks that treat CMP auctions as means to donate to the CMP and to engage in friendly (or not so friendly) competition.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbo View Post
There are folks that treat CMP auctions as means to donate to the CMP and to engage in friendly (or not so friendly) competition.
I personally find this rude, although I know its how an auction works.
Its nice they have the money, but it limits the average person getting something interesting. I assume there are 10-20 people that have bought a bucket load of stuff.
But, its their money, I just feel that the purpose of an selling like this is to let others get something cool (but I guess an ''auction'' is the fairest way)...

------
35Whelen - I have sold a number of things on auction and every time I have started low, I have lost several hundred dollars. So, the 99 cent or 01 cent thing has never worked for me

Last edited by weimar_police; 12-10-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
- I have sold a number of things on auction and every time I have started low, I have lost several hundred dollars. So, the 99 cent or 01 cent thing has never worked for me
Thereís always the risk that only one guy who wants it sees it, or none. Iíve seen items get listed a few times for a dollar and not sell, then you get two guys bidding the heck out of the same relisted items on the next go around.

For myself, Iím usually looking for stuff that is really rare but not really popular, so Iíll decide on a price that seems fair plus $5 and drop that as a bid near the end of the auction. With Gunbroker, time will get added if thereís a counter bid and others can of course bid more if they feel the item is worth more than I do.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I personally find this rude, although I know its how an auction works.
Its nice they have the money, but it limits the average person getting something interesting. I assume there are 10-20 people that have bought a bucket load of stuff.
But, its their money, I just feel that the purpose of an selling like this is to let others get something cool (but I guess an ''auction'' is the fairest way)...

------
35Whelen - I have sold a number of things on auction and every time I have started low, I have lost several hundred dollars. So, the 99 cent or 01 cent thing has never worked for me

When I see bidding going out of control, I just say bye Felicia.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567
Old 03-31-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsix View Post
I bought two M1911 mags on Gunbroker for $48.00 same mag on CMP auction two going over $200.00!
Itís Crazy!
I need one more 1911 mag for my cmp 1911. Where do I find it?
Old 12-04-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
I am simply asking why two WWII carbine magazines would be so highly bidded when such mags are really common to find.

Can some one break the code for me ?
It's often usually about two things- The egos of men and good marketing.

I learned this several years ago at a local auction where I was bidding on some high end Redfield match receiver sights. I was bidding against a couple of men and the one who ultimately bought them paid more for them than they could be bought for on eBay. The buyer simply was not going to be outbid. That is why anytime I sell anything through an on-line auction site, be it a bullet mold or something as valuable as a Colt SA revolver, I always start the bidding at 99Ę. In this manner, bids are generated from many individuals, and eventually the egos and the "I won't be outbid" mentality kicks in and the price inevitably goes up.

Regarding marketing we men are visual creatures. As such, lots of quality photos as well as detailed information make a huge difference in the outcome of an auction.

Using these methods, I have a sold a few Colt SA revolvers for far more than "going price".

The auction for the magazines is a perfect example. The bidding was started at $1.00 and there lots of detailed photos of the magazines.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:20 AM

Four NOS carbine magazines just sold on this forum marketplace for a hundred bucks. It’s definitely a way to donate and a who can urinate farther competition!!
Old 12-04-2020, 11:39 AM

In other words: They do it cause they can or they do it cause they want to.

That said: got it !