Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Default AMT AutoMag in .30 Carbine

Has anyone had any experience with the AMT AutoMag pistol in .30 Carbine? What's the Good, Bad, and the Ugly of these?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 PM

I have never owned one but own a Ruger Black Hawk 30 carbine cal. I wanted to make sure before the rumors of Huge kick and big flash start that my solid shot with no semi auto does neither. It shoots mild and no big flash or bang. I was told all these stories but it is apparent they were from folks who never fired one so be forewarned. It is like the Tankers that I have owned and shot. They neither kicked anymore nor was there any kind of large flash. Rick B
Old 11-01-2013, 11:24 PM

You may want to check the availability of replacement parts before you purchase. AMT has been out of business for quite a while. I have an Automag II in 22 magnum. Trigger isn't the greatest, but the fit and finish is top notch.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 AM

Default 30 Carb ruger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
I have never owned one but own a Ruger Black Hawk 30 carbine cal. I wanted to make sure before the rumors of Huge kick and big flash start that my solid shot with no semi auto does neither. It shoots mild and no big flash or bang. I was told all these stories but it is apparent they were from folks who never fired one so be forewarned. It is like the Tankers that I have owned and shot. They neither kicked anymore nor was there any kind of large flash. Rick B
Recently bought a Ruger 30 Carb to TRY to use up 2 cans of LC ammo. My Ruger DOES exhibit a nice 'flash' and "flame" and does impress other shooters (as well as being VERY impressive at night shooting) BUT my Ruger does NOT like LC ammo. Quite hard to drop the fired brass necessitating the need to REMOVE the cylinder to press out with a cleaning rod. THUS I have to revert to Remington 30 carb only (and hopefully Aguila). Looks like all the rest of the LC ammo will have to be used in my carbines.

Ruger makes FINE revolvers. Love them all.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
Ruger makes FINE revolvers. Love them all.
Yes, but SP-101s not so much.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 AM

So anyway back to the Op's original question.
The amt automag III is a toy and.is fun! Too big to carry concealed. Lots of cast parts
Speaking of parts, most are unavailable. Wolff had recoil springs, brownells and numrich also had some parts, hit and miss. The finish is a combo of polished ss and rough texture matte ss. The latter I'm not crazy about. The matte finish is easy to get blemished any almost impossible to remove blemish's from. Bought one new from our local ace hardware new in the 80's and one later when they got cheaper in the 90's. Niether of mine seam very accurate. Maybe.It's just me. Real flame thrower. Grip is huge to accomadate the 30 carbine round. My .02.

HILLER.................
Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
+1 30 carbine is one fun round in a pistol. I got a Blackhawk in it, because my dad had an old 3 screw model that he sold in a bad time. It's one of my favorite pistols. My boys love it as well, the one started to shoot it at 11. If I had the money I would get an Automag in it. I would bet most all the people who say "loud , useless gun" have never shot one. I can hit milk jugs at 100 yards with mine, it's a very soft recoil flat shooting pistol round. I would buy one if given the chance.

Josh
Old 11-02-2013, 07:08 PM

I wonder if it is the maker of the ammo as even this guy shoots and almost all have no flash in the first video. The 2nd video all of them flash off. Rick B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKTTdXt1Vu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MO4eaNHrBc
Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Same here on the Black hawk but notice it kicks allot less. Rick B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML-E4uRrEaw
Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 PM

I have wanted an automag iii for a long time, owned an automag ii in 22 magnum that I liked.

I bought a Ruger Blackhawk, actually traded for it, mine is great