Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2021, 11:44 AM

Default WWI 1911 leather holster

I picked this holster up at a antique mall for 60 bucks
Iím hoping to use it for my CMP 1911 someday soon. Can anyone
Tell my anything about it did I over pay?

https://i.imgur.com/gbiCBAe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tNebDph.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0VT9kNg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lXSZdhC.jpg
Old 03-18-2021, 11:50 AM

I’d say you did quite well!!
Old 03-18-2021, 08:40 PM

Yer pics:

Old 03-18-2021, 08:48 PM

Yes my pics?
Old 03-18-2021, 09:50 PM

He added the proper code to the link so that the pictures show in the forum post, rather than having to click on the links.
That is very appreciated.

Thanks Edlmann!
Old 03-18-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz1598 View Post
I picked this holster up at a antique mall for 60 bucks
Iím hoping to use it for my CMP 1911 someday soon. Can anyone
Tell my anything about it did I over pay?
I don't think you over paid. However, I would not use it for anything but display. The leather is over 100 years old and will break down through use. It looks a little dried out and squashed. A good leather restorer should bring back some flexibility to the holster. If it is dry, don't try to flex it much or the leather will tear. Also, the stitching may be dry rotting and might start failing.

My suggestion ...
For less than $40 you can get an good to excellent reproduction holster to use and not have to worry about wear on a historical artifact. I got a 1912 pattern cavalry holster for my civilian 1911. The drop swivel of the holster puts the pistol right at hand level.

Keep the original for display and use the repro for "use".
Old 03-18-2021, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. It was definitely somewhat dry
But not to horrible. The stitching is in good shape and
There seems to be no major tears in the leather. That said
I have been treating it with mink oil and it has actually softened up
nicely. I would definitely not use it as a carry all the time
Kinda holster but if I do receive a WWI or II 1911 I would use it
to hold that pistol. Thanks again for the information and advice.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
He added the proper code to the link so that the pictures show in the forum post, rather than having to click on the links.
That is very appreciated.

Thanks Edlmann!
Thanks!
Old 03-19-2021, 02:01 AM

I fully agree you probably should not be using a delicate but for real 1918 WWI historical artifact "just for fun" (I have the same holster from 1916 - but it is a display/collector item only, to me.) There are only a fixed number left in the world.

A good friend of mine used has Great Grandfather's Colt Single Action Army, chaps and leather rig from the 1880's for Cowboy Action Shooting - and broke the original hammer in two. The gun got fixed after an extensive search for a matching original hammer (over $300) but it will never be original as received down through the family again.

We are all in this hobby of old military gear just caretakers of history, in my opinion. The men that used them for real are gone - but we can still have their tools and some can even feel the "Walter Mitty Vibes" of places and times long past - and, as Belique (sp?) said to Indiana Jones "We are just passing through History, Indy - This IS History! - Do as you Will." Repros are cheap enough if you are actually going to use the item. Entirely your call, just my 2 cents.

Mink oil is an old, traditional (and obsolete) leather treatment - there are products specifically formulated for Old Leather Restoration that are much better for preservation - lots of old leather in the horse hobby, for instance has created a large leather treatment market worth catering to. Mink oil will indeed soften it - and too much mink oil will break it down, later. Better used on newer leather, though still obsolete. Grandpa used what he had - we have choices. Tradition is not always a good guide.

Two I have used with satisfaction are Obenauf's and Pecards products designed for older/heavier leather items - both of which gave good results, especially the Pecards Antique formula on an old 1903 Scabbard. They have a page on technique, done gradually for best results:

https://pecard.com/guide-restoring-antique-leather/

Whatever you decide, a very neat artifact from "The Great War". Congrats on finding it, and at a good price! CC
Old 03-19-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
We are all in this hobby of old military gear just caretakers of history, in my opinion. CC
As has been said in the Japanese sword collecting avocation, we only rent the items of our admiration before passing them on to their next caretakers. My oldest sword (Eisho period) just turned 500, but the high point of Japanese sword making is generally considered to be in the 1200s and 1300s by the western calendar (big buck$).

To the OP, you have a decent example of the US WWI 1911 holster that notably still retains the leather leg strap braid that is often missing. I have a similar holster into which I might someday place my original year 1918 Colt Model 1911, but then for show and tell only. Both have earned an easy retirement.