Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2021, 05:01 PM

Default North store report 4/1

Showed up at 8am as a walk in and there were about 10 people waiting. I got in at 9 and was glad to see more of a selection than I had originally thought. I was looking for an HRA to fill a gap so didn't look too hard at the others.

SA/HRA SG - 1 rack (front/back)

SA/HRA FG - 1/2 rack

IHC gap - 1/2 rack

SA 6 million - 2

Krag - 4

M1C FG/SG - roughly 6-8 each

M1D - roughly 6-8

Drill and Daisy's air rifles - roughly 6 each

1917, 1903's, WRA - NONE.

I picked up a 5 mil HRA with '54 HRA barrel and a 500k SA with lockbars and '47 barrel. Saw 2 faint GAW cartouches and several DAS.

Overall fun trip minus the falling asleep driving home.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:26 PM

We had a 1:30 appointment, but got there at 12:30, and they let us in. Really appreciated that, as we had an 8 hours drive home, through Chicago traffic.
Brought home two nice SA Service Grade rifles, one a 6-digit with a fresh barrel and type 2 lockbar sights, the other a 1.8 mil with really nice GI walnut SA stock. Bob said he saw six or seven rifles go out with lockbar sights today. Overall, the selection and quality were better than I had expected. No .30-06 ammo. Bought a couple slings (new manufacture cotton), travel mug, and CMP hat to round out the order. Great customer service as always. We were in the store for about 45 minutes, and saw maybe a half dozen other customers during that time. Went into Port Clinton for perch at Jolly Roger before heading home. 760 miles round trip, horrible Chicago traffic, but a great day all around!
Old 04-02-2021, 11:39 AM

Is the North Store open this weekend? They don't seem to be answering phones today. I'd like to swing by there to add a Krag to my collection but maybe they are closed for the holiday weekend. Anyway, thanks for the update on the inventory. Did anyone see how the Krags are priced?
Old 04-02-2021, 01:08 PM

Just got home from the NS. There were 3 Krags left, and they were all priced at $1250 apiece.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:14 PM

Thanks! Man this forum is a great resource.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffsdf135 View Post
Just got home from the NS. There were 3 Krags left, and they were all priced at $1250 apiece.
How were the selection of SG and H&R rack and service grades?
Old 04-02-2021, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy Send a message via Yahoo to muddy
Default Saturday 4-2-21 visit to NS

There was a great selection of SG rifles today- one rack both sides full, mostly SA. Found some nice ones with lockbar sights and matching WWII reciever and barrels with great bores. Not much for original WWII wood though. Didn't see many H&R's. A few decent Field grades (less than one rack), a few nice Gap Letter IHC (less than one rack). One 6mil SA, a few 1917's and M1C's and D's. 3 Krags in good shape. A few demil's and a few air guns. We were told that was it for a while. Everyting was out on the floor. I'm glad I went for sure. There was still some great rifles there when I left. Thank you CMP.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
There was a great selection of SG rifles today- one rack both sides full, mostly SA. Found some nice ones with lockbar sights and matching WWII reciever and barrels with great bores. Not much for original WWII wood though. Didn't see many H&R's. A few decent Field grades (less than one rack), a few nice Gap Letter IHC (less than one rack). One 6mil SA, a few 1917's and M1C's and D's. 3 Krags in good shape. A few demil's and a few air guns. We were told that was it for a while. Everyting was out on the floor. I'm glad I went for sure. There was still some great rifles there when I left. Thank you CMP.
Thanks for the reply. I have an appointment first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:15 PM

For what it's worth, having ordered SG M1's via both mail order and having visited the NS several times over the past few months (I live nearby), every single mail-order rifle I've received - and every single mail order rifle my friends have received (probably ~10 in all) has been better than any rifle I've seen at the NS.

If you really have something specific in mind, or really don't want to wait 3 months, buying in person might make sense, but at least for SG M1s, I'd strongly recommend going the mail order route.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffsdf135 View Post
For what it's worth, having ordered SG M1's via both mail order and having visited the NS several times over the past few months (I live nearby), every single mail-order rifle I've received - and every single mail order rifle my friends have received (probably ~10 in all) has been better than any rifle I've seen at the NS.

If you really have something specific in mind, or really don't want to wait 3 months, buying in person might make sense, but at least for SG M1s, I'd strongly recommend going the mail order route.
your going to have to define "better" because I can without doubt say, at times, that I have seen "better" at the N store than I got in the mail, in every aspect. I'd say that a SG mail order is going to be a very solid rifle that nobody, especially a first time buyer, would be disappointed with. The N store can be depleted at times and almost nothing a lot of times, so you could be missing the good days or hours in your analysis.