Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2021, 11:02 AM

Hi Scott most of the guys I knew were in the pacific and not China most of them Island hopped, their comments about the Garand was mostly the way it was loaded, created a few arguments among the troops, having to scrounge for clips and trading them for smokes or other hard to get war items, the stories were very interesting, and some exaggerated I am sure, I always enjoyed having a Beer usually a Mickies big mouth, sense the CAF conversion to Commertive I understand several units have outlawed adult beverages and smoking.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:15 AM

Default Hatcher hole

I can remember the gunsmith at my local rifle range use to drill the Hatcher hole while you waited, had a fixture all set-up. He drilled quite a few over the years too
Old 03-09-2021, 11:52 AM

My Dads 1903 was recovered on Okinawa after the invasion in 1945. He had it Sportitized in 52 on Island by a 6th Army Sgt. I still own it, and often hunt white tail ?Deer. It has the Hatcher hole, thatís interesting about drilling while you wait. When I was younger I really did not know, and I wish I would have asked, was that Hatcher hole already drilled when my Dad found it? Or was it drilled during the conversion to the Deer Rifle.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstflabn View Post
Rare correction for you, Steve.
lol, I always appreciate the help. Accuracy is always more important to me than putting something out that is wrong.

I honestly never really been fascinated by Julian as much. His brother on the other hand sounds like he played so many roles in the history of the M1903 and also the Garand. He would have been an interesting guy to interview for sure.