Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2020, 12:22 PM
ARFrog ARFrog is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 39
Default Ultimak for M1 carbine questions

I picked up an IBM M1 carbine import a few of months ago. It has a very high percentage of IBM parts and is in good shape with one exception. It looks likely that a previous owner removed an adjustable sight and put an unmarked repo flip sight on it. Unfortunately, the sight moves side to side on recoil and I am looking for an appropriate USGI replacement. In the mean time, I am considering installing an Ultimak picatinney rail scope mount that replaces the handguard.

My questions are:

- does the way it mounts to the barrel cause any harmful or devaluing issues?

- is it stable such that it holds zero?

- are any of you using it with a red dot - thoughts? Likes? Dislikes?

- any other issues other than maybe some wood fitment that I need to consider?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2020, 07:26 PM
painter777 painter777 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Lower Michigan
Posts: 381
Default

Hi,
This won't answer all your questions.
But being a IBM even a Import marked one, Why not just put a GI rear Adj sight back on?
IBM's are popular even a import marked one.
A rear GI site can be had for under $50.
That $50 will add more value than adding the costlier parts you mention.
Keep in mind a carbine is accurate to a point but not a tack driver.
Doing as mentioned will add value and you could sell off your reproduction flip sight, thus lowering your out of pocket cost for the GI sight.
JMO,
Others may chime in and give advice about the Ultimak and red dot.

I can pass along a couple links you can read and see a couple carbines made up as Tactical styles by adding some accessories, rails and Choate folding stock.
This way you can just swap your action from stock to stock depending on your mood.

Good Luck,
Ch-P777

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...page1.html#top

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...872.html#36900
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2020, 08:06 PM
ARFrog ARFrog is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter777 View Post
Hi,
This won't answer all your questions.
But being a IBM even a Import marked one, Why not just put a GI rear Adj sight back on?
IBM's are popular even a import marked one.
A rear GI site can be had for under $50.
That $50 will add more value than adding the costlier parts you mention.
Keep in mind a carbine is accurate to a point but not a tack driver.
Doing as mentioned will add value and you could sell off your reproduction flip sight, thus lowering your out of pocket cost for the GI sight.
JMO,
Others may chime in and give advice about the Ultimak and red dot.

I can pass along a couple links you can read and see a couple carbines made up as Tactical styles by adding some accessories, rails and Choate folding stock.
This way you can just swap your action from stock to stock depending on your mood.

Good Luck,
Ch-P777

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...page1.html#top

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...872.html#36900
Thanks for the comments Painter777. As mentioned, I will be replacing the sight. However, my old eyes were looking to possibly try out something a little more modern. I have a red dot on hand so I figure, not counting the sight, I'm only out the $93.00 + costs purchase price. As to affecting value, nothing is changed irreversibly, so no harm, no foul.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2020, 08:25 PM
painter777 painter777 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Lower Michigan
Posts: 381
Default

AAAHHH,
Old Eyes... Nearly there myself.
Checkout the links.
And enjoy that carbine, that's the whole point !

Last Time I said No Harm No Foul, I was on my way to the penalty box, then pulled off the ice after the linesman seen 2 teeth on the ice.

Cheers,
Ch-P777

ETA: You still might be able to trade your Repro Flip for a Type II or Type III rear Adj sight.

Last edited by painter777; 08-30-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2020, 10:27 PM
35 Whelen 35 Whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
I picked up an IBM M1 carbine import a few of months ago. It has a very high percentage of IBM parts and is in good shape with one exception. It looks likely that a previous owner removed an adjustable sight and put an unmarked repo flip sight on it. Unfortunately, the sight moves side to side on recoil and I am looking for an appropriate USGI replacement. In the mean time, I am considering installing an Ultimak picatinney rail scope mount that replaces the handguard.

My questions are:

- does the way it mounts to the barrel cause any harmful or devaluing issues?

- is it stable such that it holds zero?

- are any of you using it with a red dot - thoughts? Likes? Dislikes?

- any other issues other than maybe some wood fitment that I need to consider?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
I'll refrain from commenting on the red dot! 😉

But I did have to deal with an Iver Johnson whose rear sight would NOT stop moving under recoil no matter how many times I re-staked it. Finally I degreased the sight and dovetail, slid it as far left as it would go, applied a dab of red Loctite and drifted it back into place. A few hours later, no more moving sight.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2020, 10:54 PM
ARFrog ARFrog is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 39
Default

Red dot aversion - LOL

Would it have helped to have said an old Redfield Widefield scope instead?

For the purists in the crowd, I'll save the iron sights for the S'G'.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2020, 11:10 PM
35 Whelen 35 Whelen is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
Red dot aversion - LOL

Would it have helped to have said an old Redfield Widefield scope instead?

For the purists in the crowd, I'll save the iron sights for the S'G'.
LOL! No.

FWIW I am not a carbine purist in any sense of the word. My aversion to red dots and even, in some cases, scopes, comes from decades of carrying firearms in the field and Murphy's Law. I personally prefer as much ruggedness as possible and the lack of batteries and relying on my feeble memory to turn the damned thing on!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2020, 11:50 PM
Panzerschwein Panzerschwein is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
LOL! No.

FWIW I am not a carbine purist in any sense of the word. My aversion to red dots and even, in some cases, scopes, comes from decades of carrying firearms in the field and Murphy's Law. I personally prefer as much ruggedness as possible and the lack of batteries and relying on my feeble memory to turn the damned thing on!
Red dots have come a long way. They’ve been issued heavily for the past 20 years and my own experience in Afghanistan have shown the Aimpoint brand ones to be extremely reliable.

I have seen more failures with the cheap rear backup sights on M4s than the red dots themselves LOL.

I get your point, though. Irons are and always will be more rugged and reliable in MOST cases. But for a civilian not engaged in the rigors or warfare, especially one with aging eyes, they are worthy of a serious look.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2020, 08:44 AM
Bart1015 Bart1015 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sonoma County, California
Posts: 81
Default

The Ultimak system basically clamps the barrel. I have a friend who uses one but I have no idea if it will damage the finish on the barrel. He said, once installed, he has never removed it.

About 5 years before I retired, my department went to M4 rifles with Aimpoint Patrol red dots and I was issued one. I liked the setup and found it was fast to shoot and very rugged. We left then on all the time. They automatically turn off after a significant time without movement. Once moved, they turn back on. For my own security, I replaced the batteries on my employment anniversary every year.

I can also tell you first hand that my eyesight has really degraded in the last few years. I have switched to Burris fast fire red dots on several of my pistols and Mepolite RDS or Aimpopint Pro red dots on all of the rifles I regularly shoot.

I have not modified any of my M1 Carbines yet but I do think the Ultimak with a good red dot or low power LER scope may be a solid option for the M1 Carbine.

I am all for making your rifle work for you.

Brett

Last edited by Bart1015; 08-31-2020 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2020, 09:38 AM
Sheeple Fighter Sheeple Fighter is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MN (central)
Posts: 979
Default

With an import I really would not be that worried about value to a point. If you do go with the scout type rail mount keep in mind the heat generated by the barrel. These mounts act as heat sinks and your optic will absorb that heat. You need a really good red dot like an aimpoint or a tritium based sight like a RMR etc. Or just shoot slow or cool the barrel down if it gets hot!
__________________
SF
feedback thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=139123
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.