Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles > Mann Accuracy Device
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM

Default My MANN Accuracy Device Project (by Old Chief)

About this thread : Old Chief was one of many Forum Contributors that purchased a MANN Accuracy Device and turned it into a beautiful bench rest rifle. His story and others of the period were lost when the forum software crashed. I am honored to resurrect this thread on his behalf with the photos and information he has provided me. Please direct your comments and questions to him.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I received the Device from the CMP on December 20, 2007 and began metal work at J&G gunsmith on January 22, 2008. The metal work was completed on April 27, 2008 and took it to Great American Gun Stocks on April 28, 2008. They inletted in rough a stock for me and I picked it up on August 4, 2008. I completed shaping and finishing the stock with BLO and Tung Oil on October 3, 2008. Somewhere while completing the stock, I installed a Timney Trigger and mounted a BSA Platinum Target 6-24X scope on the receiver. Shortly thereafter I began taking the rifle (12.1 lbs) to the range. Pictures are attached below with a typical target fired at 100 yards. I might mention that the barrel is 21 1/2" long and has a 1 in 12 twist.

'
'
'

'
Old 06-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Default Old Chief Reply

Thanks Bob, the thread looks great. I might mention that J&G is in Granite Bay, CA and Great American, was in Yuba City, CA, both did excellent work on the piece. Also, the bolt shown in the pictures wasn't the original that came with the device but I adjusted the handle on the original to clear the scope and it is now in the rifle.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 AM

Fantastic group! Makes me want to get a Mann device to try something like you did How much does the complete rig weigh with scope and all?

ETA: Never mind, I see it's 12.1 lbs. That's surprisingly light considering how thick that barrel is. Is the stock relieved anywhere to reduce weight?

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711
Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 AM

I have got to do something like that with my Rem 5.56 Mann device. I don't want to modify the device at all, but I figure I could put it in a stock of some sort. Being a Rem 700 action its already drilled and taped for scope mounts.

I think I could coble together one heck of a F-Class gun.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Default Mann Rifle

There's no relief in the stock at all, I really didn't worry about weight when I had it all done and it just came out to 12.1. The large collar at the receiver has been turned down so that took quite a bit of weight away. I'm sure you can get yours lighter if you want.

Last edited by Old Chief; 06-26-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Nice group Chief. Mine is still in an old cut down scant stock that I opened up with a circular saw. I found a nice Bishop stock made for a heavy barrel. Did some inletting myself, but I need to get it to a smith to finish fitting it. I call it my ugly stick, and when I take it to the range people wonder what the heck it is. I'll figure this picture thing out some day and get some on
Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 PM

Default Mann Rifle

Good good to hear from you Gunny. It has been quite a while since we discussed the Mann projects. Be sure to glass bed at least the front of the action in that new stock and my barrel is free floating enough to get a dollar bill from the front to the receiver to the end of the stock. Since we last chatted I've picked up a real nice Krag 98 carbine and Winchester 62. I mounted a Malcolm copy of the Unertl 8X scope on the 62 and it shoots like a dream. Also picked up a Colt Rail 1911 and Kimber Match II, sure feels good to have those .45s in my hands again.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 PM

Picked up a few odds and ends myself. The forum has motavated me to take the rig to the smith to get it fitted in the new stock. Dropped it off the other night, he said it would take a month. Ah and the oldest boy was selected for Tech Sgt the other day. Should be wearing it around Nov.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYUSMC View Post
Picked up a few odds and ends myself. The forum has motavated me to take the rig to the smith to get it fitted in the new stock. Dropped it off the other night, he said it would take a month. Ah and the oldest boy was selected for Tech Sgt the other day. Should be wearing it around Nov.
Glad to see you back here Gunny. Seems like years since the old forum crashed. There were quite a few participating in the MANN discussions there. I hope the word gets out and we get them back here. There is nothing more valuable than experience to share with those in need.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:15 AM

Default Mann Project

Sierra Hotel on that promotion to TSgt. I was once one of those! Ditto the remarks about having you back on the forum again, keep us posted on the progress of your Mann project. Really glad the forum motivated you to get back on your project, it will be a real blast to shoot when it's finished. I've caught a little flack on "destroying" a piece of history but if I can't shoot the thing the way I want to, there's no reason for me to have one in the first place. Let me know when you're ready and I'll let you have a few more loads that I've worked up for the Mann.