X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CadillacMike
    • Oct 2009

Svc Grade WRA Garand received

This is the one that FedEx was late delivering on the 16th. Fortunately the boss lady stepped put for a while and that's when it arrived.

I ordered a Field Grade, because that was the only offering available in WRA. I put a sticky on the order for a USGI stock. I have all the other main types of Garands.

It took a while but on the 12th I got an order ack with the order number. I had received an email order "verification" with no order # back on 9 May.

Anyway, the CMP came through in fine fashion and sent me a Very nice Service Grade with a USGI stock. I requested this after FGs went "sold out" and paid the difference.

SN is 133,xxx - That's prewar for sure (I think)
    Barrel is SA 5-48, means it might not have been in Korea.
    Oprod is SA
    Bolt is SA
    Trigger guard is SA milled most of the rest of the group is SA
    Muzzle is 1 throat is 3
    Stock has a P serrifed, no circle (arsenal proof?) with some letters stamped onto the heel. The handguards are redder than the stock. The stock might be birch - can't tell, but its nice. I'll iron out the grease / oil and linseed it.

Overall I could not be more pleased.

I have some pics and a hosting site id. I just need to get the files transferred to the computer.

Here is the link:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/8rHWBRh
    Last edited by CadillacMike; 06-23-2021, 08:33 AM.
    - Registered CMP customer since 2004
    - LTC USA (Ret)
    - iTrader 50+ positive feedbacks at 100% before its curtailment
    - Post your new or old buyer / seller comments here:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567
  • brianm767
    • Mar 2011

So you ordered a FG and they sent you a SG for no upcharge? or am I reading this wrong?

Comment

• M1 sniper
      • Jul 2015

Why would you think it wasn’t in Korea?

Comment

• Craig1310
        • Oct 2019

My line of thinking would be that had it gone to Korea it would have been fired more and cared for less. Therefore it would have needed to be refurbished post-war and have a mid 50's barrel instead of the 1948 it has. No guarantees obviously but I can only assume that's what the original poster meant. Just my 2 cents

Comment

• krdomingue
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by CadillacMike View Post

SN is 133,xxx - That's prewar for sure (I think)
          December 1941

Comment

• M1 sniper
            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Craig1310 View Post
            My line of thinking would be that had it gone to Korea it would have been fired more and cared for less. Therefore it would have needed to be refurbished post-war and have a mid 50's barrel instead of the 1948 it has. No guarantees obviously but I can only assume that's what the original poster meant. Just my 2 cents
            Very true. Mine has a 4-51 bbl with readings of 2me and 2mw so I like to think
            It was in Korea . Maybe triangle hill or pork chop hill!? Lol one can only dream!

Comment

• CadillacMike
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by brianm767 View Post
              So you ordered a FG and they sent you a SG for no upcharge? or am I reading this wrong?
              I paid the difference. I noted this in other threads as well.

Originally posted by Craig1310 View Post
              That is my logic as well.

I set up on postimage.org. Let's try this link:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/8rHWBRh

The link seems to work for me. Not quite the same catch as isopropyl's but very nice. I couldn't be more pleased with the CMP. It was well worth the wait.

krdomingue, I have most of the M1 books, it' 1339xx so late in that range.

So we only had around 130,000 M1s made before the war start for the US?

The US was like the 19th ranked military power in 1939, tied with Portugal. This obviously excludes naval power of which we were 2nd.

By the end we were like half the worlds entire economy. Outnumbered everyone else's navy put together and nearly the same with air power. On the ground the ruskies had the sheer numbers, but we were far better equipped.

Can anyone shed any light on the initials stamped on the heel under the P? I think it starts with RA but the white hand painted 40 is partially obscuring it. I'll try to get a better pic uploaded tonight.
              - LTC USA (Ret)

Comment

• Det. Jason 714
                • Oct 2009

RA

Originally posted by CadillacMike
                Can anyone shed any light on the initials stamped on the heel under the P? I think it starts with RA but the white hand painted 40 is partially obscuring it. I'll try to get a better pic uploaded tonight.
                Raritan (sp) arsenal. Should say RA-P for proofed. Sweet rifle for sure. Also there is a small crossed cannon cartouche on it. WW2 SA stock.
                "Let Freedom PING!"

Comment

• CadillacMike
                  • Oct 2009

Thanks Jason, that would make this my first WW2 stock.
                  - LTC USA (Ret)

Comment

• Det. Jason 714
                    • Oct 2009

Yep

Originally posted by Ronwall
                    Yep! Real close to Pearl Harbor too
                    I have SN 132489 have read it puts me in the first week of Dec 1941
                    "Let Freedom PING!"

Comment

• CadillacMike
                      • Oct 2009

All great info. I'll try to get a better pic of that stock heel with the RA-P stamp and I'll try to clean it up to see if there's anything where the cartouche would be. The clean up will be while the boss lady is on vacation after the 4th I have to get the iron out and set up a table on the pool deck. It's messy and trashes up the iron real good.
                      - LTC USA (Ret)

Comment

• JW_Pepper
                        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by krdomingue View Post
                        December 1941
                        I can only imagine the anger and rage of the men building your M1 just days after Pearl Harbor, Dec 7, 1941.
                        Last edited by JW_Pepper; 06-23-2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X