Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2020, 11:25 AM

I have a factory configured Fulton Armory (m3 scout) that came with the Ultimak rail installed. It's tight and hasn't moved on me yet. I just in-letted a spare stock for the barreled action. It shouldn't scratch up your barrel too much so long as you aren't constantly taking it on and off.

I really enjoy the red dot on the Fulton but I'd never put the rail on one of my originals unless that was the only carbine I had. I have a Burris Fastfire 3 with a low-mount and a 45 degree offset rail to attach my weapon light to the rail at the front. Ideally, I wish someone would make a rail for a weapon light that I could attach to the bayonet lug but no luck as of yet.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeple Fighter View Post
With an import I really would not be that worried about value to a point. If you do go with the scout type rail mount keep in mind the heat generated by the barrel. These mounts act as heat sinks and your optic will absorb that heat. You need a really good red dot like an aimpoint or a tritium based sight like a RMR etc. Or just shoot slow or cool the barrel down if it gets hot!
Thanks, I had not considered heat being an issue. May have to rethink this.

As to being worried about reducing value, this is not my concern and I had picked mine up for a good price, so I think I'm good. I just did not wish to do any damage to the barrel or other parts from use of the Ultimak.

I have to admit that while I like purebred M1 carbines, I am always pleasantly surprised at the price reduction a simple stamp on a barrel causes - unless it is an Ethiopian. LOL, my Korean IBM import is half the price of some of the RTIs!

Last edited by ARFrog; 08-31-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:52 AM

You may want a spare inexpensive stock as I had to modify the M2 birch stock in the forward barrel channel for clearance that stock was not valuable and I used an aimpoint pro with the riser removed for a low mount that's very solid. It's a real game changer for an HD carbine.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:37 AM

IMO,
everyone should have at least two carbines, one with a bayonet lug and
another without.

Then the appropriate carbine can be selected for a particular "outing".

I suppose the ultimate replacement for a Garand with a bayonet, would be one of those 18 foot "phalanx" spears used in "ancient" times.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsight01 View Post
You may want a spare inexpensive stock as I had to modify the M2 birch stock in the forward barrel channel for clearance that stock was not valuable and I used an aimpoint pro with the riser removed for a low mount that's very solid. It's a real game changer for an HD carbine.
Good info. I have an extra Itailian FAT stock just in case.

Can you speak to the heat issue. Is this a problem?
Old 09-07-2020, 02:21 PM

No, itís not. I have a Springfield Scout & the optic would get really hot, really fast on the scout mount. I then bought a used mini-14 that already had a ultimak mounted & it was night & day. It was barely warm to the touch. Iíve read of others saying the same, no problems. Lucky Gunner did a 4-part series on YouTube where they took a USGI Inland and updated it, including an Ultimak, and set it up for home defense. It was a good series & part 3 is where he goes over the upgrades & Ultimak.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:25 PM

My experience with the scout mount is on an M14-type rifle and heat was a real issue, especially running a class. Never tried it on a M1 carbine as I figured it would be a problem. I still wonder about the heat after 200-300 rds running a course. Might have to watch the video on lucky gunner. I have often though of dropping a carbine in a Sage chassis.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03man View Post
IMO,
everyone should have at least two carbines, one with a bayonet lug and
another without.

Then the appropriate carbine can be selected for a particular "outing".

I suppose the ultimate replacement for a Garand with a bayonet, would be one of those 18 foot "phalanx" spears used in "ancient" times.
I solved this issue. If the forum allowed photos you would see a rubber band just behind the front sight holding a multi-bladed Swiss Army knife. Personally, I think the extended cork-screw is really scary.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:20 PM

ARFrog,
Keep us informed as you move forward.
Be interesting to see what you come up with and how well the 'Updates' work out for you.

VR,
Ch-P777
Old 09-08-2020, 01:01 AM

yeah, I bought one of those rails also - haven't put it on

Ed