Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2021, 09:27 AM

Couldn't even guess as to whether your sheath is a 1943 original or a current replica.

However, I do like the sheet metal guard that it has. Reminds me of an injury I received as a kid when I sat down at the base of a tree and my sheath knife went through the sheath, through my blue jeans and into my thigh. I could have used such a sheath!

It was not a deep wound, but from then on I always made sure my sheath knife was placed on my belt, in back of the trouser seam.

I cringe every time I see a movie or TV show depicting a character wearing a sheath knife on the front of their belt.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:57 PM

Reproduction, the staples are way wrong. Other things don't look right but the staples are what stand out the most.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:13 PM

I know enough to know I don't know enough, but you might want to check in over at the USMF: https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...0-m6-scabbard/

The one you have looks to be pretty close to the one represented as original in the above thread.

ETA, if you aren't a member of the USMF, I'd be happy to post a question over there on your behalf.

Last edited by M1Garandy; 05-21-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:25 PM

Repro
Old 06-26-2021, 07:46 AM

1shooter:

I just read your post and from just what I see from your photos, the scabbard looks legit to me. I have been inspecting, repairing, and making M6 scabbards for over thirty years, and was good friends with Mr. Howard Cole, military knife collector, and the first published author of books I-IV detailing U.S. military knives and scabbards.

The staples and rivets are correct for the scabbards that L&C made. L&C was the only maker who used the narrow straight staples on their scabbards, the others used either round head, diamond, or oval staples. The steel belt hanger on yours appears to be zinc phosphate finished and has rounded ends whereas the repro hangers are generally sharp from where the wire was sheared and have a shiny black finish . The thread appears to be the correct tan colored linen thread as was used on most military leather goods during WWII. The snap is blackened brass, whereas the repros that I've seen are using painted steel. The rivets are the correct round-head type as used by L&C, with the head mounted on front and rivet cap clinched on the back. The rivet heads also appear to be of a "Japanned Finish" which is more of a porcelain finish rather than painted. The L&C U.S.M6 1943 FJA lettering appears to be correct as originals.

In the majority of repros that I've seen over the years, the finish of the leather on the flesh (back) side of the scabbard generally has a lot of fuzz or nap (loose fibers). The flesh side of your scabbard looks to be correct for this scabbard. Your scabbard looks to have been well kept in a low humidity environment and the leather and hardware has the correct age and look for a scabbard that has never been oiled nor exposed to much light. The amount of verdigris (corrosion) on the snap is what I would expect for blackened brass mounted in leather that has not been oiled almost eighty years ago. I haven't seen anyone capable of aging/creating verdigris on a piece of hardware mounted in leather, without severely staining/darkening the leather.

Note: 1996/1997 I made about 125 M6 scabbards for the movie "Saving Private Ryan", and after the movie, a lot of the props were sold at auction. Years later, many of my scabbards were passed off as originals by unscrupulous dealers.

Here is a link to a post I made over on jouster2.com that has a photo of myself and Mr. Howard Cole (1991), along with one of my scabbards and some knives that I reparked. The photo is at the bottom of the thread (Post #8).

http://www.jouster2.com/forums/showt...epros-1990-Mfg

As M1Garandy stated, I would check out USMF and seek the advice of some of the reputable military knife collectors. Hard to make an exact determination from photos, its always better when you can lay eyeballs on it.

Regards,

Richard L. Turner

Last edited by Turner Saddlery, Inc.; 06-30-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:15 AM

I retract my statement . If Richard Turner of Turner Saddlery Inc. says it looks legit, I would go with that. He has been around more of these than most people. I must say that scabbard is the nicest one I have ever seen.