Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2022, 02:21 PM

Interesting. I didn't see a "WP" proof or image thereof. Perhaps I missed it.

That could be a citadel or other unmarked commercial barrel, and that in turn could explain some other surmises. Most metal surfaces away from the receiver itself look too well machined to be typical original Winchester work.

It's been paid for. As noted: there might be "shill bids", but this vendor and at that kind of amount such scams become extremely uncommon. And if GB doesn't get their auction fees, well, they make the Courts of the Inquisition look lenient!

There are those who attack me when I suggest that folks read the literature, as much of it as can be accessed, from industrial histories to anecdotal summaries, and claim there's no reason to do that. Or to view the detailed images. Or listen to "point" testimony from actual participants and workers. Perhaps those folks sometimes contribute to others paying, say, three times or more what an item is worth.

Oh, well.

Shill bidding? Nope, not possible on this scale. Study the feedback. The time and funds required for that silly conspiratorial flim-flam would boggle several minds. Again: If GB or Gunauction.com misses their "slice of the pie" due to this kind of scam--which exists almost entirely in the minds of the paranoid!!--their responses are brutal and immediate.

I've run across this guy's customers too many times and observed this stuff for a long time. He gets high prices, and they get paid. And while he may "studiously forget" to discuss some detail, I've never seen a flat out piece of direct fraud among his presentations.

Fantasy shills are just that.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 01-30-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:07 PM

Wow i have a beautiful WRA M1 Garand i purchased from a collector friend of mine years ago all original GHD stamped stock everything WRA i will sell a lot cheaper
Old 01-30-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSAGuy View Post
It's "shill" bidders.

A shill is: an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.

Suppose a shill wins, then who pays the GB costs?
Old 01-30-2022, 12:44 PM

shill wins - seller reports shill as a non-paying buyer - fee is refunded to seller - seller relists and creates a new shill.

not as easy to setup new accounts with gun broker for shills - but not impossible.

Steve
Old 01-31-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
Wow i have a beautiful WRA M1 Garand i purchased from a collector friend of mine years ago all original GHD stamped stock everything WRA i will sell a lot cheaper
Don't sell it cheaper - sell it for $7400 like the one in question.