Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2021, 11:16 AM

Default E targets rapid fire

Hi how does your range run the electronic targets for rapid fire? Process, times, commands etc?
Shotmaker system and first leg match coming up. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2021, 11:46 AM

With shotmarker, the ranges I have shot matches at will run a prep time, then provide commands for even firing points (or odd). As soon as firing is complete, commands are given and the string is fired by the other half of firing points. This reduces or eliminates any shots not registering or shots on adjacent targets showing as a miss on the target. In practice it has worked very well. To reduce impact of any advantage it may offer, the even vs odd going first is determined by a coin flip and is alternated for 200 and 300. For example if evens go first at 200, odds go first at 300. It does require loud clear range commands to ensure shooters shoot when it is their turn. It adds very little time to the match and is well received by the shooters.
Distinguished Rifleman #2497
P100 2017 & 2021
Old 06-13-2021, 02:53 PM

Default Time

Thanks!

How long are the targets turn for?
When in the command sequence do the targets come on ?
Old 06-13-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltower0351 View Post
With shotmarker, the ranges I have shot matches at will run a prep time, then provide commands for even firing points (or odd). As soon as firing is complete, commands are given and the string is fired by the other half of firing points. This reduces or eliminates any shots not registering or shots on adjacent targets showing as a miss on the target. In practice it has worked very well. To reduce impact of any advantage it may offer, the even vs odd going first is determined by a coin flip and is alternated for 200 and 300. For example if evens go first at 200, odds go first at 300. It does require loud clear range commands to ensure shooters shoot when it is their turn. It adds very little time to the match and is well received by the shooters.
I've never heard of only half the line firing at a time for rapids using electronic targets? The CMP uses the Kongsberg system and my club has Silver Mountain, everyone fires rapids at the same time, immediate and accurate results. Sounds like the Shot Maker system needs some software adjusting/tweeking?

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-14-2021, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
I've never heard of only half the line firing at a time for rapids using electronic targets? The CMP uses the Kongsberg system and my club has Silver Mountain, everyone fires rapids at the same time, immediate and accurate results. Sounds like the Shot Maker system needs some software adjusting/tweeking?
You can define the distances between the microphones in the ShotMarker software, so it should ignore shots on adjacent targets.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf3040 View Post
Hi how does your range run the electronic targets for rapid fire? Process, times, commands etc?
Shotmaker system and first leg match coming up. Thanks!
Process is almost the same for Rapids:

3min. prep

after 3 min prep same commands as any other Rapid string, i.e "your prep time has ended, shooters on the line stand....etc.

BUT since the targets stay up in the pits, the command to start firing is "TARGETS" from the CRSO. Everyone then gets into positin and fires their string. At the end of the time allotted period, CRSO yells "CEASE FIRE".

Works well for us. You're basically running the match like a range without pits. The CMP has published a blurb about etargets in their latest rule book, worth looking at.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:11 PM

We started setting up every other firingpoint to avoid problems in the rapids. When they are not every other point, there seems to be at least one issue per match

Last edited by hebes405; 07-25-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
You can define the distances between the microphones in the ShotMarker software, so it should ignore shots on adjacent targets.
I'm Intrestsed in knowing more about this
Old 07-26-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I'm Intrestsed in knowing more about this
We didnít properly define the area of the target in one of our systems, so it started counting shots from an adjacent target. When you zoomed way out on the touchscreen you could see a nice, tight shot grouping three feet to the right. Once we went in there and defined the target size (really the distance between microphones in millimeters), that problem went away.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:10 PM

Oh, you are talking about when you initially setup your target

Tags
electronic