Garand barrel recrown/touch up crown against JCG "as issued" rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MyTurn
    • Jun 2012

Great rifle as is, I think.

Comment

• Tcheeks38
      • Apr 2021

Originally posted by MyTurn View Post
      Great rifle as is, I think.
      Much appreciated. I just like for things to match.

Comment

• Mountain
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Tcheeks38 View Post
        I did purchase this as a service grade 6 mil garand but according to the differences between service grade and correct ratings, a correct grade is listed as having no crown flaws and no gouges on tthe wood stock. Mine has all age appropriated parts for the s/N and has this crown ding and 2 very small gouges on the stock which in my opinion is the reason it was sold as a service grade with all correct parts rather than a correct grade.

Any thoughts?
        Thoughts?

Yes- You have a great rifle and should enjoy it however you see fit. Anything super special would have been set aside for CMP auction. Highly experienced armorers with years of experience and who have handled thousands of these are not likely to miss something that should go to auction. Remember that CMP's mission is to support marksmanship and sales of the M1's is a means to an end. Why would they not do the best job they can to maximize the funds available to support the mission? Perhaps there's a random chance something could sneak out that would have done well in an auction but given the current situation I think that is highly unlikely.

The collectors among us try to buy the most correct rifles they can, then chase parts to reach the most correct status they can. Those rifles are still mix-masters but are at least historically correct for the original production dates. I much more enjoy the 'living history' aspect and only have M1's that I shoot in CMP matches, but I like learning more about these fine rifles from the folks who are into it for collecting and appreciate what they do and what they post. Be happy that yours has a lot of correct parts. If you prefer the collector route you are that much farther ahead and if you want to simply shoot it, you're not going to be affecting the collector value.

Comment

• Tcheeks38
          • Apr 2021

I finally got all the components to reload 30-06 and threw 150 rounds of hornady 150gr fmjbt in FC brass with 47.6gr of imr4064. These gave me 2 moa at 50 yards. Then I took this out to a friends. We had no problem hitting a smaller profile steel person silhouette out to 250 yards. The hardest part was seeing the steel target at distance as the front sight was the same size at that range. Seems that crown nick has no effect and it is currently more accurate than I am with iron sights (this is my first rifle with irons other than shooting the m16 in basic). My Ar's all have scopes/red dots.

Thanks for convincing me to give it a try before getting rid of such a sweet shooter. I also was able to get a correct post war springfield stock for it for a steal of a price.

Comment

• SharpShooter82
            • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Tcheeks38 View Post
            I finally got all the components to reload 30-06 and threw 150 rounds of hornady 150gr fmjbt in FC brass with 47.6gr of imr4064. These gave me 2 moa at 50 yards. Then I took this out to a friends. We had no problem hitting a smaller profile steel person silhouette out to 250 yards. The hardest part was seeing the steel target at distance as the front sight was the same size at that range. Seems that crown nick has no effect and it is currently more accurate than I am with iron sights (this is my first rifle with irons other than shooting the m16 in basic). My Ar's all have scopes/red dots.

Thanks for convincing me to give it a try before getting rid of such a sweet shooter. I also was able to get a correct post war springfield stock for it for a steal of a price.

Good to see that you shot it first.

I have been using iron sights since I was a kid, I still like using them but @ 56 I tend to shoot better with a scope.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• lemmonhead
              • May 2010

Watch the Garand Collectors Association video with Gus Fisher. He said they would clean up the crown of their NM rifles around every 500 rounds. He said there was a noticeable difference in accuracy when they did this. In the video, he takes an example rifle and uses his crowning tool by hand and works the crown by hand until every land and groove have an new cut edge. I have tried to find the same Severance crowning tool he uses in the video but can't find it.

Comment

• HighpowerRifleBrony
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by lemmonhead View Post
                Watch the Garand Collectors Association video with Gus Fisher. He said they would clean up the crown of their NM rifles around every 500 rounds. He said there was a noticeable difference in accuracy when they did this. In the video, he takes an example rifle and uses his crowning tool by hand and works the crown by hand until every land and groove have an new cut edge. I have tried to find the same Severance crowning tool he uses in the video but can't find it.
                Link?

Sounds like they ought to let the carbon build up, tweak the load, and be good for life. I've yet to see mention of bolt and AR guys doing this.
                Distinguished Rifleman #2223
                "Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara

Comment

• lemmonhead
                  • May 2010

https://thegca.org/gus-fisher-semina...ca-convention/

Starts around the 4:35 mark.
                  Last edited by lemmonhead; 12-25-2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X