Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2021, 06:17 PM

Default Friends/Neighbors!!!! Here we go again. 7.7x58

Commented on loading these for two MG's I have on prior occasion. Really nice shooters, I have two 7.7 barrels and one barrel converted to 7.62x51 by shortening, another by a chamber insert. I know the Japs. deliberately made the chambers big for easy extraction......Works too........

All barrels swell the brass badly about 1/8 ahead of the extraction groove. I have an old very heavy duty Lyman 4 die press with a 20" 3/8 steel handle. I have two sets of 7.7 Jap. dies.

Using either set of dies, I cant FL resize because of the bulge mentioned above. I must peen each piece of brass with a smaller ball peen hammer on top of my vice anvil section. I bought a bunch of new PPU brass and it does the same thing as the old shortened, many headstamps 30-06 and several Normas.

I have heavily lubed the cases. Makes no difference........I have about 2000 bullets left, then the guns become wall hangers........unless....????

PJH
Old 10-15-2021, 06:58 PM

Maybe something like the "Lee Bulge Buster"?
They only recommend it for handgun ammo, because you use a carbide die.
Might be workable if you used a .45ACP die, sine case heads are "the same" (within a thou or so).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQR9IghtSy4
Old 10-15-2021, 07:49 PM

I'd be worried about ripping the rims off the cases trying to swage down the bulges using a regular die set. A safer method, although more complicated to set up, would be to get a push-through die the diameter you want to swage the case back down to and press the cases through it using a ram and an arbor or hydraulic press. Once you have the bulge swaged down, you could run the cases through your normal reloading process.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Can you run a bit larger die first, then run the 7.7 die? This would be similar to running a 30.06 die first on 7.62 brass that had been fired through a machine gun, and then finish sizing with the .308 die.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:13 AM

OK.......why is it I always over look the obvious.?? Surely in the 30 sets of dies I have is a slightly over side FL that will take most of the bulge out.......

We have an appointment today at 1pm and our refridge needs replaced.........so I may not get to it today.

PJH
Old 10-16-2021, 05:40 PM

I went through 16 sets of die. All too small, except 45-70, too big. I need something close to .485 iD... Seems there is a chart somewhere with the measurements of various cartridges including OD of the area just ahead of extraction groove.....rimmed would make no difference for what I am trying to do.

PJH
Old 10-16-2021, 08:57 PM

You could always possibly open up the bottom of one of the 7.7 sizing dies (run it through the oversized die, then the normal sized one. Or, call on of the die makers for a suggestion.

Any concern about over-working the brass doing this repeatedly? Would it be possible to feed through the gun if you don’t bring that bulge all the way down to the correct diameter?
Old 10-17-2021, 08:44 AM

I had thought about getting the other set of dies I have opened enough. Start small, go bigger by .002 until it works. I dont understand why some of the WW 2 dated US 30-06 brass I shortened years ago is still working without splitting. Seems the primer pockets enlarge & primers come out during the firing cycle is the only real brass failure I have had.

I would try using the over size as is, after all it is chamber formed, however, if one sticks, the bolt is going to come back regardless. Either the rim breaks off or the extractor does. Bolts and related are non existent.

PJH
Old 10-17-2021, 09:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Try a 6.5 Swede die.

Warning! These cases will split after a couple of reloads, no matter how nicely you size them.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 10-17-2021, 06:11 PM

I have a set of 6.5 Swede dies. I tried converting a 6.5 Italian machine gun to 6.5 Swede. Didnt work well as I couldnt find any ball bullets and even the shortest lead tips caught somewhere.

I am surprised at the amount of no splits I have had....only failures are stretched primer pockets. Sometime, the primers fall out on the way to my range.

PJH