Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 AM

Default 1903a1 Buttplate

I have a buttplate question. I bought a fine checkered buttplate that is new and green/grey parkerized.

Qeuestion 1. Would this buttplate be correct for a 1930s Springfield 1903?

Question 2. How much is a good price for NM course checkered, blued buttplate?

John Adams
Old 01-21-2021, 12:44 PM

Technically any service rifle built in the 30's was actually a rebuild. This includes the 03A1 service rifle. So you really could put anyone it and it would be correct.

Even though they got nicknamed the NM buttplate. They were just a change in production. So they could be on any rifle.

They do command a premium though. They bring about 200 usually
Old 01-21-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
Technically any service rifle built in the 30's was actually a rebuild. This includes the 03A1 service rifle. So you really could put anyone it and it would be correct.
Pardon my ignorance but could you explain that, because Springfield was still producing receivers and barrel and bolts after 1929. I’ve seen that referenced before and it left me wondering. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2021, 07:29 PM

Rather than being true production rifles they were used as "parts sets" or to replace low numbered receivers.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:21 PM

Regular production of the M1903 rifle ended, in 1927. After that, Springfield amory was mostly producing spare parts, arsenal refinishing and repairing service rifles in inventory, as well as assembling rifles for the National matches, DMC sales and individual parts for retail sale to the public. When the m1 Garand was adopted in 1936, M1903 production was tapering off to gear/tool up for m1 Garand production. This is how I understand it. it might be helpful to obtain a good reference on the M1903, that would better explain all of this better and in more detail than many of us can.

The coarse butt plate was adopted for standard use in 1929 or so, and the fine checkered plate was standard from earlier to end of production. So, either could be correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
Pardon my ignorance but could you explain that, because Springfield was still producing receivers and barrel and bolts after 1929. I’ve seen that referenced before and it left me wondering. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2021, 05:57 AM

Good stuff..
Thank you

John Adams
Old 01-22-2021, 08:07 AM

Yeah I had asked that because the first 1903 I picked up has a 1934 receiver serial date and a 7-32 barrel, which would indicate it’s not a rebuild for a low number or damaged receiver. It’s got an L 2 bolt but the stock wears a C-SAA cartouche so it might have lost the proper N.S. bolt then. I’ve also seen examples similar to mine with the correct bolt. That would indicate these are new builds using new parts for the major components, not rebuilt. I wish I had more info on the provenance of the rifle.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:31 AM

Many of these rifles were "piece togethers" - I've seen 1938 receivers with "05" barrels.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:39 AM

Try to contact John Beard and Rick the Librarian. Both should be on here. Ask them specific questions about the possible provenance of your rifle. They will offer the BEST information that you will be able to find, on this forum.
I would also recommend picking up a few good reference books. You will probably never find information on your specific rifle. it could be military and who knows what has been done to it in the 70-odd years before you acquired it.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
Yeah I had asked that because the first 1903 I picked up has a 1934 receiver serial date and a 7-32 barrel, which would indicate it’s not a rebuild for a low number or damaged receiver. It’s got an L 2 bolt but the stock wears a C-SAA cartouche so it might have lost the proper N.S. bolt then. I’ve also seen examples similar to mine with the correct bolt. That would indicate these are new builds using new parts for the major components, not rebuilt. I wish I had more info on the provenance of the rifle.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:56 AM

Yeah I just got copies of the Campbell and Brophy books based on recommendations from John and this forum but of course I need to read them now. I’m trying to get my head around the production charts at this point. I also have a thread out here asking about my SA 1903 with a host of pics that’s folks have weighed in on, although I don’t believe anyone found the serial number in the lists that are currently maintained; checked the thread and it wasn’t found in SRS.

Last edited by ChuckyPete; 01-22-2021 at 09:12 AM.