Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2020, 03:15 PM

Default IHC upgrade worth it on new order?

I've got an order in, I just received the same email several others have about changing the order to an IHC garand.

This would be my first Garand, the upcharge isn't an issue, I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra ~$300? I don't mind waiting a few extra weeks, but I also wouldn't mind paying extra if it's money well spent.

Any advice?
Old 07-13-2020, 03:46 PM

Just my two cents . YES .
Old 07-13-2020, 03:51 PM

If it was me; definitely.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:52 PM

Generally speaking, if this is your first ever CMP order, now is as good a time as any to get an IHC

That said, the quality and makeup of these IHC's varies greatly. They run the gamut from almost all correct to total mixmaster, with differences in quality of barrel, finish and wood as well.

BUT they will all meet the basic criteria for the grade available.

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely roll the dice and get one. There may never be another IHC release.

Good luck
Tony
Old 07-13-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
Generally speaking, if this is your first ever CMP order, now is as good a time as any to get an IHC

That said, the quality and makeup of these IHC's varies greatly. They run the gamut from almost all correct to total mixmaster, with differences in quality of barrel, finish and wood as well.

BUT they will all meet the basic criteria for the grade available.

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely roll the dice and get one. There may never be another IHC release.

Good luck
Tony

Iíll go ahead and do it then. I care less about it being ďcorrectĒ than it being in good overall condition. I just want nice wood and good metal and a shootable barrel.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:02 PM

I guess I'll be the stick in the mud. In a SG IHC mail order the only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. With no promise of other IHC parts on the rifle especially the barrel to me it would not be worth risking $1080 for the IHC vs a $750 SG Springfield.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
I guess I'll be the stick in the mud. In a SG IHC mail order the only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. With no promise of other IHC parts on the rifle especially the barrel to me it would not be worth risking $1080 for the IHC vs a $750 SG Springfield.
I gotta agree with Ron on this! If you should commit to the IHC, I would request that Customer Service puts a "sticky" on your order for a LMR(correct) barrel. Luck of the draw is bad enough, but to throw an extra $330 on another luck of the draw......
Old 07-13-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
I gotta agree with Ron on this! If you should commit to the IHC, I would request that Customer Service puts a "sticky" on your order for a LMR(correct) barrel. Luck of the draw is bad enough, but to throw an extra $330 on another luck of the draw......
It's all about expectations. My first IHC was a LEAD rebuild with USGI Birch and only the receiver and trigger housing were IHC and they were reparked. It doesn't even have an LMR barrel, it is a 60's SA... I was initially disappointed, but ANY LEADs now are easily selling for 1080 and plain Jane IHC SG's will sell for that most of the time as well on the secondary market.

Would I go for a luck of the draw IHC now at my stage of collecting? No...and for the exact reasons outlined by Gordie and Ron, but it's the OP's first CMP Garand and he seems to just want a good shooter. The IHC he gets might not end up being worth 1080 now, but will be in a short time and will be close enough now.

I guess I can see both sides, but I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a new buyer and remember the IHC LEAD that I got. I would not sell that one for less than 1,200 now.

Here is a pic:

https://s849.photobucket.com/user/To.../IHC3.jpg.html

Last edited by TSimonetti; 07-13-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:56 PM

As I said Iím more concerned with getting a nice looking example of an M1 Garand. Odds are this might be one of only two I ever buy, Iíd like to get a .308 garand as well. Iím not a big time shooter, donít go near as much as I should. My hope is my kids learn an appreciation for history through hands on experiences like holding a firearm. By the time Iím dead it will be worth a pretty penny for my grand kids.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:50 PM

Your chances of getting a high or low end rifle are the same either way. You’re just paying the extra $300 for the manufacturer. In my opinion it’s a good buy!