Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2021, 03:44 PM

Default Thoughts on the Condition of this Garand

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'm relatively new to the world of milsurps and the Garand more specifically. My father was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer as the result of exposure during 9/11 and expressed an interest in getting out to the range together. My grandfather carried the Garand during his service in Europe during WW2 so I thought that it would be extra special to pickup one and surprise him with getting some trigger time on it.

While the CMP was the first placed I looked the wait time is just too long given his condition. So, I recently picked up a CMP service grade SA Garand through a private FFL. It's a SA in the 4 million S/N range, came with new CMP furniture, and TE of 4 and ME of 2. Once I picked it up I field stripped the rifle to clean and lubricate it. The overall finish is mediocre at best as the receiver has some splotchy rust staining and minor pitting towards where the barrel is attached. I was pretty disappointed to find what I consider to be nasty pitting on the receiver legs. There is no question that knowing what I know now I definitely overpaid for this rifle (thought it does have a random NM op rod).

For whatever reason (I guess my OCD) the pitting really bothers me as I wanted a real solid shooter in great shape to enjoy for many, many years to come (makes me jealous to see some of these really great mint condition rifles ). I now store the rifle in a Zerust rifle storage bag to fend off any further corrosion. I did reach out to Jeff of HueyGunner's Gunsmithing and he feels confident he can clean the majority of the receiver up nicely and re-park it - I have the utmost faith in the quality of his work.

So, with all of that said, anyone have any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!

https://imgur.com/a/YpekMQk

p.s. - I did get out to the range today with my father and we put about 70 rounds through her flawlessly and we had a great time together. We were able to hit paper at 100 yards but the groups weren't all that great
Old 05-01-2021, 03:55 PM

I am ocd about pitting and barrel condition.

The SA rebuild listed in the for sale section today are the rifles I like. Practically new barrels and US arsenal rebuilt. That one is only selling for a little more than the rebuilds CMP sold.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:28 PM

Default Thoughts

70 rounds with your dad.. Thatís a great day.. U can always get another rifle..
Old 05-01-2021, 04:37 PM

The NM op rod isn't really a bonus. They are very common and used in rebuilds. With the amount of pitting on the legs, I doubt that that rifle was a Service Grade. Did you actually get the COA from the CMP that lists that rifle as a Service Grade or is that just what the seller told you. I definitely would have returned that rifle to the CMP if it was sold by them as a Service Grade. You learned a valuable lesson and will be better informed when you buy your next Garand. Take Care and enjoy shooting with your dad. You will never regret the time you had with your dad at the range and elsewhere.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:51 PM

I have a receiver with pitting similar to yours. But mine is a FG special, already reparked by CMP. It doesnít bother me since it is below the wood and on a shooter, and the rust is not active.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:21 PM

As far as the authenticity, I don't have the COA but the rifle has the blue CMP tag affixed listing it as an "RM1Service" with the appropriate S/N and barrel information.

https://imgur.com/4iSu0Kv

I suppose its very well within the realm of possibility that I was completely scammed. Needless to say that there is no question that I've learned my lesson and learned a lot since. I think my biggest predicament now is what to do with the thing - not sure if I should try and sell it, part it out, or follow through and try to get it repaired (as best as possible) and refinished.

I did see that SA rebuild for sale in the "For Sale" forums but Its a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Last edited by RushTheBus; 05-01-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:24 PM

I received this 2.2 million SA a few years ago:

The barrel was average at 3 TE and 2 MW.

The level of pitting on this rifle was not to my liking, at least not for a Service Grade, which means that someone else owns it now.

Your rifle looks more like a Field Grade.

Last edited by MTC29; 05-01-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:02 PM

FWIW I updated post # 7 with an image of the CMP tag.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:29 PM

Wow, 4+ TE on a "Service Grade"? If that's now within CMP's criteria for a Service Grade I know why I stopped buying when I did.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Wow, 4+ TE on a "Service Grade"? If that's now within CMP's criteria for a Service Grade I know why I stopped buying when I did.
4+ TE is within CMP SG criteria. The CMP service grade descriptions says "the throat erosion will gauge less than 5"