Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2021, 05:32 AM

PM sent
Old 05-05-2021, 07:01 PM

I used Danish stripper clips. Its been a while since fired 03 match. I am left handed shooter. never had problems with 03 or A3 reloads. Had problem hitting target, but. All my friends used them as well. I think came in crate of AMMA 1960 .
Old 05-18-2021, 03:39 PM

Here are 3 things that will help you:

1) a timer.
2) previously mentioned stainless stripper clips, with "dummy" 30.06 ammo.
3) Gary Anderson's new book. It's available from the CMP.

Get all your gear on, use your mat, do timed Dry-Fire in your basement.

It REALLY works.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:11 PM

I forgot to follow up here after the Eastern Games.

Thanks to CHAP17 who so kindly gifted me a few clips in the mail I managed to shoot a 270 (Bronze medal) with my Smith Corona 03A3 in the Springfield match, after shooting a 275 in the as issued Garand match. This was a major highlight of the year for me which may end up taking on even greater meaning now since I may be required to get 3 vertebra in my neck fused together that could end prone shooting for me indefinitely.

All of you have been a great source of inspiration, thank you for everything.
Jess you especially!

Dave
Old 05-19-2021, 05:10 PM

To really speed up your process. Make sure you cases are sized for your chamber. Some 03's have tight chambers. If your cases are on the long side, you will have a hard time opening the bolt after firing. This was an issue with HXP issued ammo at Camp Perry one year. For my 03, I usually size my cases to -.005 to -.006 below my chamber. (which is typically what you want in auto loader not manual.) Won a few golds this way. My first time out there I sized my cases -.001 to -.003 below my chamber and the bolt was hard to open during rapids.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:18 PM

Is "gifted" the same as gave?
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 05-22-2021, 04:39 PM

Gifted is what you say when someone gave you something that saved the day 😉
Old 05-22-2021, 04:47 PM

And for 60 years years I thought "gift" was a noun, not a verb. Just checked a dictionary and sure enough, it is a noun.

Creedmoor and maybe Champion Shooters supply sell modern stripper clips that work fine. No need to screw around with surplus stuff.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 05-31-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
Creedmoor and maybe Champion Shooters supply sell modern stripper clips that work fine.
I just looked at both sites. Both only list .223 stripper clips.

But the pictures look like 5 round .30 cal clips.