Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2021, 07:31 AM

Default M1D cheekpad eyelets

Does anyone have a source for the original type eyelets on the M1D/C cheek pads? The ones with the star shaped inner clamping rim?
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:49 AM

This might be close to what you seek:

https://www.amazon.com/PTC-52968-R-E...312384&sr=8-17
Old 05-07-2021, 05:41 AM

I bought those a couple years ago they do not work. Your best bet is to find old milsurp you can take them from.

I needed a few for an old K-Line I repaired, I found identical ones in a trashed pair of WW2 boot covers. They are a pain to replace. I ordered 4-5 different eyelets online and nothing came close. Hit the antique/flea markets and I bet you will come up with what you need. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2021, 09:01 AM

I have a nice pair of ‘42 canvas gaiters but they have grommets with backer rings. I have some other WW2 web gear and all have similar grommets. I followed that Amazon link, 100 for $8 can’t be heavy duty at all. Hopefully someone has a box from the’50s laying around.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by the mainstream media, which holds that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:27 PM

I ordered a 100 from Goldstar Tool along with a staker. They are the #00 3/16". Specs say 4.5MM ID, 9mmOD, and 5MM depth. They should be self backing like the originals, but we will see when I get them. Might be need a better tool to get them to split properly.
They have an ebay store which is handy.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:06 AM

Well, the ones I ordered were not the split self backing ones (even though that was what was pictured) Oh well, for $4 it was worth the negative feedback for not as advertised. I did get some from grommetdepot that were a tad longer but still 3/16 with 9mm OD. I called them for regular ones and they are in the mail. I thought the longer ones might come in handy if the leather was loose. They worked fine but the backs were a little long.

What I do is take a star torque head driver insert and drive it down into the back of the eyelet. That splits it along the serrations pretty well. The increasing bit width above the torque splines spreads them without rolling them over like the eyelet tool does. That allows you to hammer the back flat without the curls. Not sure how I will finally decide to do but I will post some pics as soon as I install a couple of the smaller length ones.

I read alot about vertigris (the green junk) and alot about what folks do to clean it up. Bottom line is that cleaning the visible part of the eyelet and leather does nothing for all the vertigris eating your brass that you are not seeing. I was cleaning some of mine on an early cheekpad and pushing a qtip thru the hole pushed out the eyelet as 3 of the backing pieces were completely eaten away. Total mess under the eyelet and shank. So, I think I will just polyurethane the backs and shank of the eyelets prior to setting them to see if it might preclude the vertigris or slow it down.

Harbor Freight sells a set of what looks like dental pics that are great for removing the eyelets. Just pry up the little pieces in the back and they either bend up or break off.