Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2021, 08:31 PM

Default Need help with Campbell 03 books

I'm hoping ya'll might be able to give me some insight into the Clark S. Campbell books on the 1903 and its variants. There are, as far as I can tell, 2 books written by Mr. Campbell on the 1903 rifles. The first, published in 1957, is titled "The '03 Springfield." The second book, published in 2003, is titled "The '03 Springfield Rifles' Era."

I have the earlier book (The '03 Springfield) and am wondering if there is sufficient additional information to justify buying the later book. Do any of you have both, or have experience browsing both? Does the newer book have enough info to make it worth the current premium price?

thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:56 AM

Better yet, look for a copy of, "The Book of the Springfield" by E.C. Crossman, Small Arms Technical Publishing Co., 1932. A side by side comparison with Campbell's book is interesting.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petera View Post
Better yet, look for a copy of, "The Book of the Springfield" by E.C. Crossman, Small Arms Technical Publishing Co., 1932. A side by side comparison with Campbell's book is interesting.
I found Crossman’s book so suffer from “mission creep”.

Back in the day, it was all I had . . . .

Today, both of Campbell’s tomes are head and shoulders above!
Old 05-14-2021, 10:04 AM

Campbell's first book "The '03 Springfields" was published by Fadco Publishing Co. in 1957. A second edition was published by RayRiling books in 1971 and is characterized in the fronticepiece as "completely revised, updated and enlarged".
I believe there may have been another edition by Collector Grade Publications in 1990's but I am not sure about that.

In any case Campbell produced his final (self published) edition in 2003. That edition benefits from a lot of information that was not declassified until near the time of publication.

Crossman's volume, as Updated by Roy Dunlap, is also interesting and very useful for completeness but at its core the information dates to the 30's so some of it, like the world war II variants is dated.

There definitely is information in 2003 that you will not find in earlier editions of Campbell.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:16 AM

Thank you all. Sounds like it would be worth getting the 2003 Campbell. The price is up there so I just wanted to be sure. Now the search for a more affordable copy begins!
Old 05-14-2021, 10:58 AM

Editions of Campbell's M1903 book (under slightly different titles) include:

--1971*
--1994*
--2003*

* - significently edited and revised

If any of you go to the 1903 Springfield page on Facebook, I recently did an extensive review of his 2003 ed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/190255011326571

I would agree the 2003 edition is MUCH more detailed than the others.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:32 PM

I would agree that NO Springfield fancier's Library is complete without Crossman's
"Book of the Springfield" as well as "Military and Sporting Rifle Shooting".
How is ANY book on shooting a rifle well "dated". Has something about the '03 - or the Mark I Human Being - changed significantly since the 1920's?

Quite the contrary - when the Bolt Action Military Rifle was indeed the "Queen of Battle" they knew one Hell of a Lot more about shooting them than we do today - because it was damn important to National Security - and most men prior to the 1960s knew something about shooting.

I think we are guilty of assuming newer is always better - and that is Definitely not a general truth in literature of all kinds - and in many areas our actual knowledge and ability has decreased, markedly. Most modern gun scribes pale when held up against people of Crossman's credentials.
The gunwriters of old usually had actually tested what they wrote about - instead of an "unboxing" account or a YouTube video by some Nimrod being presented as an informed opinion.

The firing tables and wealth of information in Crossman's books is not to be found anywhere else - it is aimed at the Springfield while it was still THE US Service Arm - and a popular sporting rifle.

Brophy is still the best single industrial History/Catalog of everything Springfield, Campbell is aimed more at the general or sport shooter and the care and feeding of the Springfield in Civilian ownership.

If you are going to "do Springfields" as a long term project you need Brophy, the last Campbell book and both of the above listed Crossman books.

And the Crossman books are much more inexpensive on eBay than the others - as most people have not discovered his fine detail - and readable, and often humorous, Style. CC
Old 06-01-2021, 07:16 PM

I want to thank all of you for your input. I have been stalking all of the regular book and auction sights. I was just able to grab a 2003 edition for less than $30! Without all of your help, I would have been chasing too many rabbits. Narrowing it down to the 2003 edition made the search much more manageable and I was able to get a screaming deal on the book. Thank you all again.