Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2021, 02:34 PM

Hi SeeEmPee,

Practice OFTEN shooting your match TIMED, be comfortable, don't rush yourself!
Have a few extra rounds handy if you have a bad primer!

Check & double check everything you need to take, including the CORRECT ammo, sun glasses, bug spray. mags or clips.
A hat to block the morning or afternoon sun. Mine was in the car!
That is Excuse # 56 out of 100!
"It would have been a perfect score, but the sun blinded me."... Not really, but it's good excuse

Enjoy,
broom
Old 05-04-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post
The purpose-built carts aren't just for carting your stuff, but to have everything at the line in an organized fashion. Saves time better spent on other things.
This in spades.

If your spirit animal is Scrooge McDuck like mine is, start with what you can cobble together but buy a stool as soon as the Black Ops Fund will allow. I swear my scores went up when I had my shtuff in one bag. Update to a used cart or conversion in a season or two.

Prep time is for NPA, not finding your pen.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
...Prep time is for NPA, not finding your pen.
Well said! When everyone is off of the firing line, the person calling the Match Will announce “relay one (for example) you may bring your gear to the firing line. Your prep time will begin in two minutes.”
That means you have two minutes to set up for that stage which will include getting your rifle out perhaps setting up your scope stand, or if applicable rolling out your mat. Your cart will have everything you need already there. You will likely be ready to dry fire is soon as they say “your Prep time begins...NOW,”

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon762 View Post
Well said! When everyone is off of the firing line, the person calling the Match Will announce “relay one (for example) you may bring your gear to the firing line. Your prep time will begin in two minutes.”
That means you have two minutes to set up for that stage which will include getting your rifle out perhaps setting up your scope stand, or if applicable rolling out your mat. Your cart will have everything you need already there. You will likely be ready to dry fire is soon as they say “your Prep time begins...NOW,”
Another tip. Start getting ready while you are on the ready line. Load your magazines, set your scope stand up, put your jacket on.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:09 AM

Hi Fellows,

I just read some of the many helpful notes here -AGAIN! Try to watch one real match before you shoot to get the feel for the pace of it.

If your shooting in the morning relay. Carefully position your cart or wagon BETWEEN you & the BRIGHT SUN! So your head is in the shade. Have that wide brim hat with you! I was blinded by glare off my shooting glasses for the first string. I would guess the same trick will apply during the afternoon shoot also!

As I said before on this link. PRACTICE stages often & always time your shots. You will have mastered the allotted time for each stage with practice.
Do hit the practice range on crappy days & you will be a better shooter! Things never go according to plan so have a plan B or C!

Good Luck,
broom
Old 05-24-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeEmPee View Post
Going by myself as of right now. I moved to Indianapolis in the late fall of 2019 and it hasn't really been a very conducive environment for 'making friends' in the past year and a half.

I'll stay hydrated and beware spontaneous combustion of small plastic items on hand, thank you sir!

Noted, sir! Maybe i'll just leave the CC's at home so I'm not even tempted?

Definitely good to know ahead of time, thank you. I just called in my barracks reservation about an hour ago.

I did EXACTLY this after shooting at Camp Atterbury (Indiana) last year with CIHPRS (High Power Club). The walk to/from the firing line was MURDER on a hot day. I went to Northern Tool and equipment and justified the purchase with the wife as a 'dual- purpose' item we could use in the garden/around the yard, and also as a beach buggy for vacations/day trips as well! It was an easy sell, and cost a third of the over-priced competition carts (definitely not throwing shade at any of you 'real' competitors out there that deserve the best of the best...I'm just a hobbyist and not really a competitor.)
Hey, one of your New England buds, yours truly, is seriously considering a Perry trip this year. Canceling the tent camping kinda ********es me off- you know that's how I always roll at Camp Ethan Allen.

Probably need to find a hotel. If I grab a rack in the barracks my occasional snoring might get me a Full Metal Jacket 'pillow party'.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:16 PM

A question for the group- are they going electronic this year? If no, I'd definitely want to get squadded with someone I know can pull targets well.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:06 PM

They do not have enough electronic targets. That would constitute a major project that has been on hold for several years. ....and as for the Covid rules, things are changing fast. I wouldn't be surprised if camping is allowed by August. Good Shooting. ..
Old 05-24-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
They do not have enough electronic targets. That would constitute a major project that has been on hold for several years. ....and as for the Covid rules, things are changing fast. I wouldn't be surprised if camping is allowed by August. Good Shooting. ..
Thank you, sir.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
Not surprising. Nationwide, nothing is back to normal, and I don't see normal for at least another year, maybe longer.
Correct, and wearing a face diaper anywhere let alone outdoors is NOT normal!