Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2021, 04:30 PM

Default IHC stock on an M1C?

During a recent visit to the North Store, I finally committed to getting a M1C after eyeing them for months. The recent scope & mount I picked up pushed me over the edge.

Got home and started taking it apart to clean, and I noticed the channel has a number stamped in it. The stock is bedded as expected, so this caught me off guard. The rifle has a HRA barrel (and WRA hammer), so it's been rebuilt at least once.

So, did I manage to luck into an IHC stock with my recent purchase?
channel marking:

trigger area:

DAS:

P stamp & carved rack #:

stock channel:

trigger bedding:

It and the SA-52 I also brought home:

Last edited by Big_Red; 01-31-2021 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Downsize huge pics
Old 01-31-2021, 04:37 PM

Yup, Looks like it to me. Have to remember they didnt care about collecting when they were assembling the rifles they just used whatever they had. It may have also been put on at the CMP since it was bedded. Its maddening because youll never really know for sure
Old 01-31-2021, 05:28 PM

You never know what you are going to get when it comes to IHC. But I will say that the circle P, the IHC notch and DOD stamp do not match their counterparts on my IHC stock. But then my stock is from Jun 1955 whereas yours if from 1952.

Jerry

Last edited by Big_Red; 01-31-2021 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Downsize ungodly huge pics after complaints of screens locking up
Old 02-01-2021, 06:17 AM

[QUOTE=Scott_OH;2010644]During a recent visit to the North Store, I finally committed to getting a M1C after eyeing them for months. The recent scope & mount I picked up pushed me over the edge.

Got home and started taking it apart to clean, and I noticed the channel has a number stamped in it. The stock is bedded as expected, so this caught me off guard. The rifle has a HRA barrel (and WRA hammer), so it's been rebuilt at least once.

So, did I manage to luck into an IHC stock with my recent purchase?
channel marking:

Scott,
It appears that you have an IHC stock that has been thru a rebuild in the mid 60's. It was Springfield that removed the IHC DAS and Proof and then applied their own. The bedding in the TG lockup area was pretty much a standard practice for Springfield during that period.

Rob
Old 02-01-2021, 07:46 PM

Ah, thanks Rob! That would confirm what Jerry was saying about it appearing different from his IHC stock. An interesting bit of history for this rifle then. It has parts of all 4 manufacturers, and I'll keep it that way. Once I get the scope back from being cleaned up I'll have to see how it runs. The barrel was 3+/3+ which is a mild concern, but it'll still almost certainly shoot better than my skill level.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_OH View Post
Ah, thanks Rob! That would confirm what Jerry was saying about it appearing different from his IHC stock. An interesting bit of history for this rifle then. It has parts of all 4 manufacturers, and I'll keep it that way. Once I get the scope back from being cleaned up I'll have to see how it runs. The barrel was 3+/3+ which is a mild concern, but it'll still almost certainly shoot better than my skill level.
3+ on the Me is not that bad. I am sure it will do fine.

Rob