Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport10990 View Post
1stSgt

When you get it let me know! Iím in Dana Point. I used to have an NRA sporter. It was a RIA auction that was 2 rifles in one. I wanted the other rifle as it was a SRS hit for a USMC 03. Sold the sporter for about 1700. If ya spent anything less, you did pretty good.
Just filled out the paperwork this morning so I have 10 days until I can go get it. This rifle has had the stock changed to a cut down "spoterized: 03A3 stock so I'm looking for an original NRA stock and barrel band. As it sets I paid $200. I'm quite happy with the purchase as you can imagine
Old 09-27-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Does your Sporter have a small "o" beneath the serial number? Please advise. And please oblige us with the barrel date.

Thanks!

J.B.
Mr. B

The barrel date is covered by the add-on front sight so, at the time of purchase, I couldn't do any parts removal. Once I'm able to pick it up I will be removing that sight. I do not recall seeing an "o" beneath the serial number. Two things I didn't mention in my post above, this rifle has a headless cocking piece and a reverse safety. I don't know if that was added by a previous owner or was ordered that way from SA
Old 10-08-2021, 10:59 AM

Picked up the rifle yesterday and gave it a good looking over. The bore is outstanding with sharp rifling.
Muzzle measures 2
Throat measures 5
Head space is excellent the bolt barely moving on a field gauge
There is a small serif upper case D on the starboard side of the receiver just forward of the gas escape hole. Same D on bottom of barrel just aft of the front sight.
The bolt is etched with the serial number
Front sight is, from what I can determine, a Redfield slip-on ramped sight (possibly Armory installed?),
Barrel date is not visible (covered by front sight) but there is what appears to be an 8 just visible.
The bolt/receiver rails appear to have been polished.
Star gauge number on bottom of barrel near receiver #1555.
Headless cocking piece and reverse safety.
The rifle seems to be all correct except for the bubba 03A3 stock it's mounted on.
The bolt binds on opening and closing due to the Lyman rear sight mounting screw protruding into the rear receiver ring about 1/32 of an inch.
All in all I think I did well for $200. Now I just have to find an original stock and barrel ring. One last thing for Mr B, there is no small "o" under the serial number
Old 10-09-2021, 09:59 AM

An option for your stock is a reproduction 1922 NRA sporting stock from these folks. You will need recoil screws, shotgun type butt plate and barrel band, and sling swivels. All the metal parts just happen to be listed on ebay right now.

https://www.cottagecraftworks.com/sp...lacement-stock
Old 10-09-2021, 11:18 AM

I've thought of a repro stock but, like all of us, would prefer an original
Old 10-09-2021, 11:39 AM

For the price you paid, you can afford to try to find an original stock, although I wish you good luck in the hunt. In 40 years of collecting 03s, I can't recall ever seeing a decent one on the loose.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:36 AM

Smile

Maybe I'll get lucky like when I found this rifle
Old 10-20-2021, 06:42 PM

Couple of questions for all of you. From the research I've been doing on the Sporter most everything I've seen states that the rear sight was a Lyman 48S. This particular rifle has a Lyman 48 WJS. Question 1, was this an option offered by the Armory or can I assume it has been replaced. Next; the front sight on this rifle is, from what I can determine, is a Redfield ramp type slip-on sight. Not sure of the model number (possibly a 40?). It has dove tail inserts that mount from front to back. Question 2; was this something that the Armory offered when purchased or an add-on by a previous owner. Thanks in ;advance for you insights
Old 10-20-2021, 07:14 PM

The Lyman 48 WJS fits Winchester Models 54s and 70s. It was definitely not installed at SA. Somebody swapped it later. That model is also designed to mount on the lefthand side of the receiver, so it is mounted backwards now. The ramp front sight is also a replacement. Redfield wasn't even in business when most NRA Sporters were being built.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:00 PM

Thank you