Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2021, 11:03 PM

I have two CMP Mecgar magazines. Both have to be removed from the pistol before the slide stop can be depressed. These were tried in three different pistols... same problem. All of my other magazines work fine in these pistols. The others are Colt, Scovill, Ridson, Wilson, Checkmate and some other unknown cheapies. I think that pretty well narrows it down to bad magazines. The Mecgar springs are extremely stiff. Mecgar are the only 1911 magazines I have had problems with.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 06-30-2021, 07:36 AM

Does the slide stop release when there is ammo in the magazine?

LHS
Old 07-01-2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch440 View Post
You mention lubricating it, but did you completely strip and clean the pistol?
I didn't mention lubricating it, but after taking it home from the range I field stripped, cleaned, and oiled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS905 View Post
Does the slide stop release when there is ammo in the magazine?

LHS
Yes, no issues there. I'm 100% sure now that the issue is the mecgar magazine. I've thought about it, and even if it isn't I'm not gonna try to get it looked at. I knew what I was getting with a rack grade, and I'm happy regardless.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:28 AM

Sorry Dr. Spector, my question was directed to sigman2 regarding his Mecgar magazines needing to be removed before the slide stop could be released.

I agree, that your issue does appear to be with your Mecgar magazine. For 100% reliability I have always used Wilson 47D magazines.

Congrats on your rack grade. I am very pleased with my first round Service Grade.

LHS
Old 07-18-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS905 View Post
Sorry Dr. Spector, my question was directed to sigman2 regarding his Mecgar magazines needing to be removed before the slide stop could be released.

I agree, that your issue does appear to be with your Mecgar magazine. For 100% reliability I have always used Wilson 47D magazines.

Congrats on your rack grade. I am very pleased with my first round Service Grade.

LHS
Sorry, been out of town and just saw your question.

Yes, the slide releases when a loaded magazine is inserted and slide stop pressed or slide racked.

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
Old 07-18-2021, 11:53 PM

Any pistol designed to have the magazine follower activate the slide stop when empty will result in a lot of resistance trying to activate the slide stop with the empty magazine in the gun so normal there.
It bears repeating- whenever a auto loading firearm gives feeding issues, in addition to lubrication the first suspect is the magazine, and to try another.
Never ever own a semi auto with only one magazine.
Good quality spare 45 magazines are under $20.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
Sorry, been out of town and just saw your question.

Yes, the slide releases when a loaded magazine is inserted and slide stop pressed or slide racked.
I have a little different perspective to your magazine issue. I believe that a magazine really has only 2 jobs.

1-reliably feed ammunition during operation of the pistol.
2-engage the slide lock of the pistol when it's out of ammunition.

It sounds like your magazines fulfill those jobs.

I also believe that with defensive pistol "firm" slide lock after the last round is fired is a good thing. In the heat of the moment it will prevent you from inadvertently closing the slide on an empty chamber. You will be required to change magazines and release the slide (either by depressing the slide lock or slingshotting the slide).

There is an philosophy out there as well that dropping the slide from lock without ammunition is not good for the pistol. The process of the slide stripping a round out of the magazine and chambering it acts as a shock absorber to the system, minimizing the force of the clashing of metal parts.

LHS
Old 07-27-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
Any pistol designed to have the magazine follower activate the slide stop when empty will result in a lot of resistance trying to activate the slide stop with the empty magazine in the gun so normal there.
It bears repeating- whenever a auto loading firearm gives feeding issues, in addition to lubrication the first suspect is the magazine, and to try another.
Never ever own a semi auto with only one magazine.
Good quality spare 45 magazines are under $20.
All of my other magazines will allow the slide release to be depressed normally. The two Mecgar will not release even with pressure from both thumbs on the slide release.

With this, are you saying that all 25+ of my magazines are bad except for the two Mecgar? I've owned and have been shooting 1911 and other semi-auto pistols since 1967 so I'm reasonably familiar with them.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:44 PM

Is "limp wristing" still a thing? Not having shot 1911's that much, I have run into that issue in the past.