Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2022, 05:31 PM

Default Krieger M-14 SS 22" Heavyweight barrel

I recently found myself in a position to aquired a Krieger M-14 SS 22" heavyweight barrel from a friend in a trade. It's a new barrel, never even screwed into a receiver. Shiny not bead blasted. 1/10 twist, not that it matters to my question. His project changed and he has no use for it now and would like to trade with me. I have a McMillan M-4a stock and am waiting for an LRB receiver to pair it with, so I do have good use for it. What would be a fair price on this barrel so I can offer him something of equil value? I googled it but wasn't able to come up with much.

Last edited by Whipped cream head; 09-13-2022 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-13-2022, 10:22 PM

They sell at Krieger for $400 plus before short chambering and have a 16 month lead time. When does your receiver show up? How much is time worth to you?
Old 09-14-2022, 06:40 AM

Thanks jeremy69. I think I'll put together a package with a Criterian M-1 barrel, a U.C. bayo arsenal repackaged in nos condition and maybe 50 rds of Creedmoor 30-06 ammo. Sound like a decent offer? As far as when the LRB shows up...I've been on their waiting list almost a year now. I think a phone call when they open this morning is in order. I'll report back later with that info. They had a $100 price increase a few months ago, wonder what price their going to charge me? (Rhetorical question.) And my value of time? I'm 63. The older I get, the faster it seems to move.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:52 AM

Just had a nice chat with the folks at LRB. I was put on the waiting list in early January. I was told they make them in batches of 30 and I'm about 30 on the list. The young lady I spoke with felt I would be in the next group they are getting ready to make and that the next batch of 30 would be ready in about 6 months. Price on these will be $959.95. Straight from the horses mouth.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:31 AM

I think your offer is a little shy and way in your favor. I think short chamber is a $60 add.

Itís really between you and him. Probably a $500 barrel and 16 month wait. Iíd at least try to hit the $500 value unless heís happy with it.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:53 AM

Thanks. Easy fix. I'll add another 50 rds to the pot. Hey, he's a friend. Again, I thank you for the help. Like headspace, an offer to a friend is something you want to get right the first time.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:11 PM

If itís not short chambered itís not a simple finish ream installation. You will need a gunsmith with a lathe to chamber it. You could ďprobablyĒ send it to krieger to short chamber. Just to help your planning.

Took two years for my LRB rear lug and heavy Krieger to come together. The barrel was like two weeks, LRB was almost a year during COVID. Tony Ben took almost a year as well with the beadding and build.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:26 AM

It is short chambered, so I don't have to deal with that headache. I'm doing most of this build myself but I've never bedded anything other than a bolt action before. A little birdie tells me this build going in an M4A stock is not the one to learn on. I think I'll be sending it to Ted Brown @ Shooters Den for that. Don't know his schedule yet, I'll have to touch base with him on that. Having had Tony Ben do it doesn't get any better. What stock did you use? Would love to hear your thoughts/impressions on shooting the rifle. I've never shot an M-14 built like this before, only the 2 NM's I have. This build started off in a very different direction but when I received the M4A for fathers day, and then this barrel fell into my lap, it became obvious what had to be done.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:02 PM

Krieger informs me that the four SS heavy M14 barrels I have had on order since October 2021 will probably be shipped around the end of February 2023. I can only hope...
Old 10-04-2022, 10:29 AM

Thead update: Made the deal for the barrel. Cost me 150 rds of ammo, the bayo and 2 days of salmon fishing on lake Ontario on my boat. So that's what a Krieger H.W. barrel is worth. Also sent an email to Ted this morning. Can't wait to hear what he has to say. Oh, one more thing, decided to have Ted do most of this build. The stock and barrel add too many variables to the equation for me. A standard build, no problem, but I decided this build is best left to the expert. For me, this is a once in a lifetime build.
When I get the receiver and send everything to Ted, I'll start a new build thread. I welcome your suggestions and comments as many here have much more experience with builds and M-14's in general than I do.