Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2022, 10:03 PM

Default Lyman 57 RS Sight

I finally found a Lyman 57RS rear sight for my REM 521T at a reasonable price. When I went to mount it the screws that came with it were too small for the base on the rifle. They appeared to be 6-48 thread while the threading on the sight base is 8-40. Tried to use some 8-40 screws but they do not fit in the countersink and holes in the sight. Am I correct in assuming that I need a new base and did they make one with 6-48 threading?
Thanks,
SMiller
Old 10-04-2022, 06:00 AM

the mounting holes on receiver are 6-48 - currently have 4 521's + four spare sight assemblies + in 6 decades of collecting + researching them i have never seen or heard of mounting holes in base being threaded ever - the holes in the base should not be threaded at all -

Last edited by schutzen-jager; 10-04-2022 at 06:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2022, 07:27 AM

Never be surprised by what molestations can be found on Lyman 57 bases. I recently bought a 57MS base on ePay which was obviously VERY hacked by someone, but would (and does) look and work perfectly fully populated with the remaining parts. I had to make both cheesehead screws for it, the base now requires two different lengths from aggressive buggering, and $7 worth of much too long fillister head screws from Amazon was the inexpensive route for the two screws needed.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
I finally found a Lyman 57RS rear sight for my REM 521T at a reasonable price. When I went to mount it the screws that came with it were too small for the base on the rifle. They appeared to be 6-48 thread while the threading on the sight base is 8-40.
The 57RS does not use a mounting base - it mounts directly to the receiver. At some point the Army removed the 57RS sights and converted these to use the Redfield 75, which does use a mounting base.
"Remember, the CMP employees seek to be enablers, not gatekeepers. so if you do your part they will try to take your money and get rid of some obsolete firearms to fulfil their stated mission." - CMP Poster Zvenoman
Old 10-04-2022, 08:45 AM

the Lyman 57 series definitely has a mounting base separate from sight - numerous pictures of them on internet + old Lyman parts lists -

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...1&disoverlay=1

Last edited by schutzen-jager; 10-04-2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:08 PM

Default Problem Solved

Many thanks to schutzen-jager, Lava-Tech and edelman for your knowledge and advice. What it turned out to be is I had a 521T that had a Redfield 75 sight base installed on the receiver which was tapped 6-48. The Lyman 57RS sight I bought had the base attached and came with the correct 6-48 screws. By simply removing the R75 base and installing the L57 base and sight I was ready to go.
Thanks again,
SMiller
Old 10-05-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
the Lyman 57 series definitely has a mounting base separate from sight - numerous pictures of them on internet + old Lyman parts lists -

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...1&disoverlay=1
I suppose there's a picture of a kangaroo out there labeled as a Lyman 57RS base, but I am skeptical.
"Remember, the CMP employees seek to be enablers, not gatekeepers. so if you do your part they will try to take your money and get rid of some obsolete firearms to fulfil their stated mission." - CMP Poster Zvenoman
Old 10-05-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
I suppose there's a picture of a kangaroo out there labeled as a Lyman 57RS base, but I am skeptical.
FYI try doing some research in old Lyman catalogs , Remington parts lists , + vintage gun accessories catalogs + you will find it listed as part # Q-185 sight base - the part on smiller's 521 is actually an adapter for mount a Redfield 75 base + some Lyman MJT sights on certain receivers - that is all i will say on this subject -