Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2022, 09:45 AM

Default Preferred method for installing front sight?

I have what I believe to be a corrected Winchester with a fresh and uniform parking on it. I do not know who did the parking. Either way, the front sight is not on the rifle, and I do not want to tear the parking up by attempting to install incorrectly. It's a tight fit. Is there a best method to preserve the finish as much as possible?
Old 10-04-2022, 10:09 AM

The least a tight fitting front sight will flatten the parkerizing. The worst it will streak the barrel. Before you put on a front sight, you want to be sure you have a Winchester front sight. So you do it once. Take a 12 ga. shotgun brush on a drill and clean the inside of the front sight to remove anything that can scratch the barrel. And you will want to use a tool and grease the inside of the sight and the front of the barrel when installing.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:27 PM

Use the proper tools...
Old 10-04-2022, 06:27 PM

If I remember my references correctly, didn't Winchester at some point late in the war install the front sights after parkerizing the barrel, so that you will sometimes see installation scratches on otherwise minty WRA carbines? If that's the case, just pound the sucker on (using the correct tools of course)

Joking about not worrying about scratching. LOL... Following 6ring advice will really help it go on smoothly and without scratching, and that's what everyone should be trying for.

But be sure to use a fire blue sight pin if you can find one to really set it off visually and to add a bit of class
Old 10-04-2022, 09:44 PM

Put the sight on top of a light bulb, to heat it up and expand it. It should go on easier then.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Put the sight on top of a light bulb, to heat it up and expand it. It should go on easier then.
Don’t even remember how many press-fit bearings I have installed in housings. In this case…..heat the sight and freeze the barrel.😁
Old 10-07-2022, 09:05 AM

I'll verify that the front sight that came with the rifle is Winchester...good reminder. Thanks for the tips.