Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2022, 06:21 PM

Default Butt Plate Replacement on a SA M1A- Need a Comfy Suggestion

What's the latest and greatest replacment for the butt plate on a Standard Wood Stocked Springfield Loaded M1A?

Looking for something with a bit of a give- for target shooting but not shooting matches.

This looked good to me...others had mixed reviews.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/buttpl...ndition-1.aspx

I'm shooting steel at the Farm- not really concerned about weight savings, but more concerned about getting beat up when shooting and plinking wearing a T Shirt.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:49 PM

How about slip on butt pad. On for shooting. Off for admiring the rifle in original form. M1 butt pad should fit M1A/M14.
https://www.amazon.com/Ahlmanstr-Str...ustomerReviews
Old 01-19-2022, 08:13 PM

This is what I remember seeing:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/buttpl...padm14m1a.aspx

Thicker might not mean it offers more absorption.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:52 PM

fulton rubber buttpad is best for recoil reduction as long as the extra 1" added to the butt works ok for you. i use it on my hunting rifle (m1a). i also use the m14 good iron muzzle brake which pretty much eliminates the muzzle rise/recoil.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:08 PM

Yes....that thick rubber but pad is my favorite. The very thin plastic plates are really cheap--only if you want the most weight reduction possible. Good Shooting. ..
Old 01-21-2022, 08:15 AM

You might check AIM sports for their M14 buttpad. I have used a few and they are great.
RVN 67-68
Old 01-24-2022, 01:19 PM

How about a shoulder pad? No mods to the rifle.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...prod23317.aspx
Old 01-24-2022, 03:20 PM

Seems I recall that external pads (not part of the coat) are not legal for most competitions......although often seen. Good Shooting. .....
Old 01-26-2022, 04:39 PM

This is on Sarco's M14 parts sale email today:

https://www.sarcoinc.com/m14-rubber-...e-replacement/

Rich
Old 01-30-2022, 10:12 AM

My M1A set up for long range shooting and I put on a muzzle brake. It made all the difference in the world. Brakes are like diamonds, they all look alike to me and expensive to do discovery learning with. I chose a Springfield Armory brake , it really reduces recoil and muzzle rise when shooting in prone supported (scoped M1A). Rifle shoots like a 410 shotgun in recoil / like a 30 caliber carbine in recoil....that range of abuse (non abuse) to ones shoulder.

The rubber pads shown in this tread I've seen sold by many vendors and they seem stiff yet granted better than metal butt plate. Cheap enough to try and see if they do what you want, if not , they don't slip off your shoulder like the GI butt plate so theres a Plus to them.

When the nut cutting came for buying a Smith Enterprise brake vs SAI brake, I gave the nod to SAI as their brakes on my Socom 16 do just fine and I figured this brake they sell is same one they put on their Scout Rifle and my buddy raves about that brake on his Scout rifle. I know Smith makes outstanding stuff but at twice the price and what I see / hear of SAI brakes, I am very well satisfied with my SAI brake. Not sure the Smith brake would make much difference to me but I could be wrong ....but I am good with SAI brake performance and I'm not losing sleep over Smith brake.

In sum...if Smith brake infinitely better, I'm not sure that matters since SAI brake recoil is so mild I don't notice it.

** I'm in my 70's so recoil was becoming an issue. I put on a Treeline rubber recoil pad onto my M14E2 stock, dropped my M1A into it and installed that SAI brake. That was my total solution to damage control recoil and muzzle rise on my scoped M1A. Rubber recoil pad by itself helped but wasn't enough. Younger shoulders & younger shooters might be fine with this stock and rubber pad but I wanted more so I chose to add that brake. 80 bucks well spent cause I enjoy shooting so much more