Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
Is the price firm? Pull back the op rod and see it there are markings on the barrel. If so post photos of them. Any extra mags come with it? It is what M1A collectors call a "Golden Age" gun. The receiver was machined by Mel Smith of Valley Ordnance of Wilkes Barre Pa. Mel machined the receivers from the beginning of production till some where in the early 90 thousand range. He did excellent work. It is one of the good ones. From the wear on the park on the receiver it appears not to have shot much. I doubt you will find another "Golden Age" gun in that condition. If the price is an issue make an fair offer. Its one I would consider for my collection. Nice find.
First of all, thank you everyone for the responses. I think I will go back to the shop and get some additional pictures of the barrel markings.

I didn't get to deal with the shop owner the day I was there, only the guy watching the counter, so I'll have to see on the price. I think there was only the one mag that was in the gun. There may have been others as there are pieces-parts of the old guys collections laying about the shop.

Regarding the barrel and gas system, what should I look at in more detail for signs of wear, trouble, or abuse? I'll definitely look at the bore, but I'm not sure what to look at beyond that. Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2021, 07:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Looks like the previous owner added a few parts, the hooded aperture and the flash hider.
Because this is from the Assault Weapon Ban era the flash hider shouldn't have the bayonet lug, yet this one does. Check the end of the flash hider for signs of copper from bullet contact which could indicate a misalignment or defective FH.
Other than checking the barrel markings there isn't much more you can check with the naked eye. As has been said, the lack of wear looks like it hasn't been fired much and would be a good rifle to purchase.
At one time SAI had a lifetime warranty on their rifles, regardless of owner....not sure that is still the case....but could be another reason to purchase.
Good luck!!!
Old 06-16-2021, 07:34 AM

From the photos you posted I see no signs of any abuse. If the barrel is a standard GI issue barrel the barrel's bore will be chrome plated. If its a GI National Match barrel it's bore will not be chrome lined. Twenty round GI magazines depending on condition are worth $25.00 to $35.00 dollars each.
If you wait to long to buy it do not be surprised if someone else grabs it.

Last edited by RDS; 06-16-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:54 AM

Bravo 47,

PM sent.

Gary
Old 06-16-2021, 05:24 PM

It appears to be one of two possibilities. One it could be a factory "Collectors addition" model which included mostly GI parts or, two, it could have been originally purchased as a stripped receiver and built to it's present configuration. Springfield did not ship new rifles in this serial number range with bayonet lugs as they were produced during the assault weapons ban. The NM hooded aperture was an add on by a former owner evidenced by the standard sight base. It's a plus that it has a Winchester bolt, but you should check out the markings on the op rod, barrel, and trigger group to insure they are GI parts. The price is fair in todays market if the parts are all GI.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
First of all, thank you everyone for the responses. I think I will go back to the shop and get some additional pictures of the barrel markings.

I didn't get to deal with the shop owner the day I was there, only the guy watching the counter, so I'll have to see on the price. I think there was only the one mag that was in the gun. There may have been others as there are pieces-parts of the old guys collections laying about the shop.

Regarding the barrel and gas system, what should I look at in more detail for signs of wear, trouble, or abuse? I'll definitely look at the bore, but I'm not sure what to look at beyond that. Thanks again!
Went back to the shop, still no owner so I couldn't field strip the rifle. Only thing I could do was cycle the bolt. I was able to read "GENESCO" on the side of the barrel. Op rod and trigger group are still mysteries. It only has one mag and price is firm. No errant marks on the end of the flash hider and nothing but some loose residue in the bore. I got the same old story about "the guy who comes in every evening after work and will buy it if it is still here on Friday!"

I'm going to have to give his some more thought...
Old 06-17-2021, 05:27 AM

To complicate the issue, SAI did mark at least some of the USGI barrels they installed with Genesco, so it could be GI or commercial.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
To complicate the issue, SAI did mark at least some of the USGI barrels they installed with Genesco, so it could be GI or commercial.
That's true but if USGI the manufacturer, drawing number, and date would have still been visible with the oprod pulled back. In this case it appears all the OP saw was GENESCO....actually it's GENESEO....and I would lean to his barrel being a commercial version.
Seems there might be a third possibility........A factory built Standard that the previous owner had altered.....including possibly the USGI stock.

I believe with the GENESEO marking it confirms the rifle was built in house at SAI..

And the "GENESEO" marking on a commercial SAI barrel, that likely the OP saw....

Last edited by Shomway; 06-17-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:51 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
That's true but if USGI the manufacturer, drawing number, and date would have still been visible with the oprod pulled back. In this case it appears all the OP saw was GENESCO....actually it's GENESEO....and I would lean to his barrel being a commercial version.
Seems there might be a third possibility........A factory built Standard that the previous owner had altered.....including possibly the USGI stock.

I believe with the GENESEO marking it confirms the rifle was built in house at SAI..

And the "GENESEO" marking on a commercial SAI barrel, that likely the OP saw....

You are correct. There was no drawing number on the side of the barrel, just the GENESEO IL () visible with the op rod locked back.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:35 AM

Good luck finding a new SAI M1A for that price. You can always get back what you spend if you get buyers remorse.

If you don't grab that deal someone else soon will.

Bill