Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2021, 09:19 AM

Just remember the way they do rifle shipments is they grab the next available at that grade level and ship it out, or put it on the truck to send to a store. So the 24 rifles per side of the rack at the North store could have been shipped out to the next 24 mail orders. The big difference is you as the customer get to hand select from the supply out on the floor. Sometimes that supply is great, sometimes it isn't. I have seen gems come from the stores and from mail order.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffsdf135 View Post
For what it's worth, having ordered SG M1's via both mail order and having visited the NS several times over the past few months (I live nearby), every single mail-order rifle I've received - and every single mail order rifle my friends have received (probably ~10 in all) has been better than any rifle I've seen at the NS.

If you really have something specific in mind, or really don't want to wait 3 months, buying in person might make sense, but at least for SG M1s, I'd strongly recommend going the mail order route.
It is difficult to know what people are receiving through the mail since you only see a small percentage of them. I have bought a lot of rifles from the CMP North Store over the last 15 years, and I felt I had an advantage picking out rifles in person. The ones I received in the mail were never better than the ones I handpicked at the NS. Keep in mind that the quality of the rifles has varied tremendously over the years. You can definitely get good rifles in the mail, but the reason you donít hear a lot about lesser quality in the mail is people get shouted down by CMP followers if they complain. The best rifles were the Greek rifles although there were a bunch of poor quality rifles in that batch also. Like I said quality varies over time.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chant75 View Post
Just remember the way they do rifle shipments is they grab the next available at that grade level and ship it out, or put it on the truck to send to a store. So the 24 rifles per side of the rack at the North store could have been shipped out to the next 24 mail orders. The big difference is you as the customer get to hand select from the supply out on the floor. Sometimes that supply is great, sometimes it isn't. I have seen gems come from the stores and from mail order.
And it appears that's just what is going to happen, now that the NS is closed too.....
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=279753
Old 04-05-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeal View Post
It is difficult to know what people are receiving through the mail since you only see a small percentage of them. I have bought a lot of rifles from the CMP North Store over the last 15 years, and I felt I had an advantage picking out rifles in person. The ones I received in the mail were never better than the ones I handpicked at the NS. Keep in mind that the quality of the rifles has varied tremendously over the years. You can definitely get good rifles in the mail, but the reason you donít hear a lot about lesser quality in the mail is people get shouted down by CMP followers if they complain. The best rifles were the Greek rifles although there were a bunch of poor quality rifles in that batch also. Like I said quality varies over time.
I agree with Al that the store advantage is ability to pick from available rifles at the time your there, The ones you passed up in the store may be the next one picked and sent to you mail order.

I have had the privilege for numerous visits to both store due to work in proximity. Other than my first few visits way back when I started with Garands, I have never found it necessary to walk out of the store with something I did not desire.

I also have had a few mail orders, and even posted pics of one that disappointed me. (btw will never do that again - beat up bad). Every rifle I hand selected except those first one or 2 were better than any mail order i have ever rcvd. Not to say some nice rifles don't show up mail order, but those are the ones you see posted on the forum most times.

JMHO

NRA Endowment Life Member; Garand Collectors Association (GCA); Carbine Club; Ohio Gun Collector Assoc (OGCA) Life Member
Old 04-05-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffsdf135 View Post
For what it's worth, having ordered SG M1's via both mail order and having visited the NS several times over the past few months (I live nearby), every single mail-order rifle I've received - and every single mail order rifle my friends have received (probably ~10 in all) has been better than any rifle I've seen at the NS.

If you really have something specific in mind, or really don't want to wait 3 months, buying in person might make sense, but at least for SG M1s, I'd strongly recommend going the mail order route.

You should consider yourself lucky, very lucky, as I have received Garands via mail order, that have been questionable, as far as condition and wear with some service grades stocks & handguards are beat up, badly. The ability to select a rifle from the NS is a real bonus. The only drawback is the added sales tax of 7% and availability of rifles at the NS is sporadic.

In today's world, mail order is taking forever., I have been waiting over 3 months and apparently my order has not even been "received" yet.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear57 View Post
You should consider yourself lucky, very lucky, as I have received Garands via mail order, that have been questionable, as far as condition and wear with some service grades stocks & handguards are beat up, badly. The ability to select a rifle from the NS is a real bonus. The only drawback is the added sales tax of 7% and availability of rifles at the NS is sporadic.

In today's world, mail order is taking forever., I have been waiting over 3 months and apparently my order has not even been "received" yet.
It's certainly possible that I've just swung by the store on bad days, and I admit that this observation doesn't really make much sense - I completely agree with you that in general, being able to pick a rifle should yield better options. I just suspect that in our present time of very high demand, the store's stock tends to get 'picked over' quickly, leaving relatively less-desirable rifles.

For what it's worth, I still love visiting the store, both just for the experience of it all, and also to look out for interesting/unusual rifles or parts that can be used to correct others as I build a collection (NM parts, lockbar sights, WWII cartouches etc).
Old 04-16-2021, 04:49 PM

abeal: remember the woodless Danes? Did you snag any good ones out of those?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
abeal: remember the woodless Danes? Did you snag any good ones out of those?
Oh yes, I have a few. Vince Jiga helped me to fit them with birch stocks. I have one with the Danish Navy symbol on the rear sight cover. Over the years there were some really nice rifles at the North Store.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:33 PM

If only we knew then what we know now. Buy what you can when you can.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:37 PM

Very interesting thread. I have never made it to either store but I have mail ordered 03s and Garands. I have never received anything that was not a great value when I bought it. The appreciation on my small investment is considerable. I still shoot the rifles whenever I can. My son will be inheriting all of them.(and a bunch of ammo to).