Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2021, 01:50 PM

Default 1903A4 replica?

Tomorrow, I will be looking at a 2012 AIM Surplus sold 1903A4 replica. It is unfired, and has a Rock Ridge Machine Works marked barrel, Gibbs marked Hi-Lux M73G2 scope, and CMP C stock. Optics are clear. It comes with 200 rounds of hxp 3006 and a leather sling for $1050.
Are there any issues with these replicas. The price seems good.

Update. I bought it. It came with a 192 round can of hxp 3006 on Garand clips.

Last edited by jeffe; 05-15-2021 at 07:19 PM. Reason: name correction
Old 05-11-2021, 02:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

I assume you mean Rock Ridge Machine Works?
I have no experience with these but I believe these originally sold for around $1500, so your price would be great.
Good luck!!
Old 05-11-2021, 02:14 PM

I have a later, 2015, Creedmoor A4 replica with same RRM barrel. I don't have the M73 or M82 replica scopes anymore, am shooting a Weaver K2.5 rebuilt by Iron Sight. But shoots well enough that it's me, not the gun. I've shot 99 point strings in VST matches with it (haven't cleaned one yet). The difficult part of A4s (and most vintage scoped rifles) is getting a consistent sight picture from a gun that was never meant to have a scope on it (hence a nonexistent consistent cheek hold). My A4 in 2015 was more than $1050 that's for sure. The 200 rounds is $200 by today's standard (even in 2012 they were $0.50/rd)
Old 05-11-2021, 02:22 PM

Have a Remington 03-A4 replica put together for me by one of our forum members. Price was $1,200 delivered. It has a Weaver 2.5 scope and a scant stock. On target results confirmed test targets enclosed with the rifle. Accuracy w/ good ball is surprising... about 1.5 inches for five shots. For ten shots, it is below 2.0 inches. With one batch of Winchester 150 gr. Pointed Soft-Points, it shoots 1.0 inch five shot groups. Just don't have enough of that stuff to be able to shoot more groups. Only fired four groups. Handholds using Nosler 150 gr. BT are also one inch or less at 100 yds. All this is off a sand bag rest. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

This thread got consumed with the CMP legality of a drill receiver, but seems like no problems...
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....hlight=surplus
Old 05-11-2021, 03:10 PM

Yes, they are built on drill rifle receivers. As long as that is OK with you these are reported to be a great deal.
As others have said above they seem to shoot great.

jh

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-14-2021, 08:40 AM

I have a 2012 dated Gibbs marked barrel but the fact is Rock Ridge built the rifle and owner of Gibbs/ Navy Arms / Old Western Scrounger told me the barrel are Criterion. Mine shoots 2 inch groups at 300 yds with 175 gr BTHP hand loads. I've never touched it other than cleaning bore and shooting it. Not fooled trigger nor taken out of stock..its perfect as it is. Its superficially no different than any other Rock Ridge 03a4 clone and going price is well over 1000 dollars for several years now. ...thats a seasonal price as this is the shooting season so price will be up and come winter they sell for a few hundred bucks less. The G2 version of the M73 clone is the better of the clones, the G1 was a PITA due to thick cross hairs and to my eyes, less quality optical glass. I replaced mount, rings with original WWII issue GI versions and installed a Lyman Alaskan scope and in our sniper matches here at Quantico, we do the normal CMP 300/600 yard event and then push to 800 / 1000 yds. My last time at 1000 yds I shot 186 with 3x with this rifle and if the targets were not scores but man size silhouettes , with hits on a man at 1000 yds, I'd have no issue staying up with the M40 VN Era USMC sniper rifles.

Last I looked, most of these rifle with out of the box optics ran 1500 dollar range. Years ago when the alarm bells of A4 Forgery was the cry from purists , these clone A4 were in the the 600 dollar price range with criticism they were not worth that price....then shooters used these rifles a few years and performance drove prices upwards.

I have zero issue with cheek weld on my rifle. I went to the 03A4 for Vintage Sniper Rifle Matches because I had been using a PU Sniper and you really end up with a CHIN Weld ...and accuracy was sacrificed. If I was Jay Leno and had his chin, I'd still be using a PU Sniper . My scores shot up once I began using the 03A4 clone/reproduction.

Duly note there is always someone to slide in a remark these are converted drill rifles which they are . But scroll back in history when CMP sold drill rifles and legions here converted them back for range work and that was the hot ticket thing to do and that was just Peachy. I think the talking smack about drill rifle A4 clones is really collectors sour grapes.

I think most of these A4 clones are great shooting rifles. Mine certainly is and for a rifle never intended to be used at 1000 yds, its a winner in my book. My only criticism is back in WWII, the US military really did not put proper optics on these rifles and certain then, the US Military was late recognize need for snipers and sniper weapons. I'd rather categorize that as asleep at the switch.

Last edited by milprileb; 05-14-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:40 PM

Milpireb summed it up perfectly.
All I have ever heard is the RR/Gibbs/Creedmoor rifles shoot as good or better than an original, as they should, being solid rifles with a modern, precision barrel and the optics allowed.
My comment about drill receives was only to advise, to be clear I'm building a few 03s on drill receives, one to be an 03A3.
I prefer the scrounging and building otherwise I'd purchase an RR every day (mine will essentially be the same anyway). Those who dislike the ex-drill rifles may be the same who look down on import marks and want to tell you how their MW/TE is better than yours. On the firing line it's a different story :-)

Real 03A4s have their place, obviously in the collecting and shooting world. But for a moderately priced rifle that won't be a risk to shoot (in terms of damaging a significant collector) and being as competitive as the real thing you can't beat the ex-drill 03A4s.
The only cheaper way into VS was the Mosin Nagants, and I haven't seen many for less than the RR 03A4s in a while. Apples to oranges anyway.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-15-2021, 10:18 AM

I bought one new in 2012 from someone off GB for $1100. I've had it to Talladega numerous times and it shoots VERY well. I've been using a Weaver 330 scope but it went wonky on my last trip so will put a 329 I have on it for the next trip. Also have done zero to the gun, never even disassembled it. Very happy with it.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:23 AM

I know that one off the shelf from the TMP store that Creedmoor sold won the 2018 D-day match. It has a m82g2 repo scope and was shooting creedmoor 30.06.