Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2021, 02:12 PM

Default The flame is not the right shape.

The flame on top of the Ordnance wheel looks like it is too big and it does not have the right shape. I believe it is a fake stock.
U-2 and Predator Operations: Deliberate Force; Joint Endeavor; Northern Watch; Southern Watch; Noble Eagle; Enduring Freedom; Iraqi Freedom.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:11 PM

It is 100% fake. Cannons are a big joke for starters. They do not even come close to a real set. Rick B
Old 05-17-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
It is 100% fake. Cannons are a big joke for starters. They do not even come close to a real set. Rick B
Darn but I accept your word as correct. Thanks for your comments. I was hoping it was correct as it came with ammo, case and a few other extras 2 years ago for a very fair deal. At least it's a good shooter!
Old 05-18-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retafchief View Post
With all due respect, guys, "I don't like it" and "nope" doesn't mean jack to most of us. Please tells us WHY.

We don't say what's wrong so the humpers don't get better at fakes. If they know what we see they change their stamps.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
We don't say what's wrong so the humpers don't get better at fakes. If they know what we see they change their stamps.
Maybe you don't. That is an excuse shared by some.

Some don't say because they are unable to articulate.
Others believe they are unquestionable and don't understand the difference between asking why, in order to learn, and an accusation of being wrong.

Many (most, in my observation) do explain in order to continue the knowledge transfer and share the hobby.

I will point out that those who are considered the premier experts in such things on this forum generally explain fully when they consider something fake. That has been seen already in this thread.

Respectfully;
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-18-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
I think the underground ring of fake stamp makers isn't as large a problem today as it may have been.

There are original stamps in existence as well.

Best thing to do is not by stocks with stamps and undercut the guess work completely.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:55 PM

When someone asks, I compare a known good stamp to the stamp in question. I then add my limited experience over 10+ years and give my opinion. That's how I do it. I would encourage garand collectors to collect hi-rez photos of known good stamps to use as a comparison.
RickB has so much experience, he can just look and make a call. I always defer to him, but in order to improve, I make my own assessment first.
I'm certainly no expert.
Once I understood there is NO variation from the original that is not fake, it made it easier.

ps- I had to learn the hard way several years ago that in Harrison's book, his plastic overlay of the GAW cartouche doesn't even match the printed GAW cartouche in the book the overlay came in!
So I use photos of known good cartouches as a guide.

Last edited by ebeeby; 05-18-2021 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeeby View Post
ps- I had to learn the hard way several years ago that in Harrison's book, his plastic overlay of the GAW cartouche doesn't even match the printed GAW cartouche in the book the overlay came in!
So I use photos of known good cartouches as a guide.
Great point sir.
Every good reference has errors or information later proven to be incomplete.
One reason why my opinion is that this info should be shared and discussed.

A pet peeve is telling someone a specific book is crap based on a few errors or a new discovery. In my professional life I rely on references and research, and there are few, if any authoritative sources in most fields.
Talk to a few authors and they will point out some errors of their own making as well as introduced by the publisher. You learn new information ALWAYS the day after a book is published.
I have many books about the same subject; professional as well as milsurps. And my research as well as milsurp learning never ends.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-19-2021, 07:39 AM

So I use photos of known good cartouches as a guide.[/QUOTE]

I also like this approach and am a big believer of having a library of good stamps right at hand.
I keep many examples right on my phone so that I am never without them.
It is amazing how many bad stamps I come across at collector and gun shows.

Rob
Old 05-19-2021, 11:12 AM

Here is a link to a RickB resource that I find helpful:

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=16300