Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2021, 10:16 PM

Default legit all original 1903a4 on GB?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894794512

I'm no expert so i came to ask the experts. From what I could research it looked legit but those stock markings were so clear and everything looked so nice that it made me very wary.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2021, 10:33 PM

Your wariness is justified. The stock markings appear legitimate. But the stock is a replacement from a later rifle. The handguard is also a non-Remington replacement. The firing pin is from a Smith-Corona rifle. The telescope is missing a serial number, thereby indicating probable fakery. And Bubba, not knowing the correct procedure for removing the lower band, boogered up the stock.

Caveat Emptor!

J.B.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:44 PM

Some quick comments, mainly from memory, and comparing to a M1903A4 that I own, S/N 3.411M range. The GB rifle S/N somewhat qualifies it in the first block of M1903A4s, so I'm thinking it should have a C-stock; scant stocks were for later blocks. I wish there were better pictures of the bolt handle, because it looks a little off IMHO. Also, the trigger guard should be smaller. The seller is incorrect that all M1903A4s were equipped with 2-groove barrels. Overall not too bad, but he also doesn't show the cut in the stock for the bolt handle, to see if it is original. Hope this helps, and maybe others can weigh in and give more info or correct mine :-).
Old 06-08-2021, 07:02 PM

The rifle in question in M1903A4 SN 3423127 we have seen it before. This rifle was the subject of a GUN BROKER listing on Feb 28, 2016. I made some notes on it in my A4 Database at the time.

1. The rifle has a 2 Groove September 43 barrel. According to my data most of the A4's in that series have 8/43 or 9/43 barrels. Evidently barrel production ran way ahead of complete rifle assembly which tended to lag due delays in scope deliveries.

2 Rifle is part of the first 20000 A4's ordered but its pretty late in that first block. Perhaps 4000 or about 1 or 2 months production from the end. By that time scant stocks were in regular use in Remington Production. My A4 is only numbered about 300/400 son's higher than this one and it has a scant stock. also its been in my possession for 50 years.

3. My notes show this rifle having a scope with a "POST AND CROSSHAIR" reticule (in 2016). Definitely a sign of post war tinkering. A few commercial Weavers with post reticles my have been used early in the war but frankly I believe this rifle is way too late for that..

Last edited by JDGaynor; 06-09-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: correct typos
Old 06-08-2021, 07:28 PM

Jim, I haven’t seen you post in a while, I hope you are ok. I shot you an email a few months ago I don’t know if it went through.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 06-08-2021, 09:38 PM

"The handguard is also a non-Remington replacement."

Okay, John. Your reputation as a wizard is obviously well earned.

HOW do you know it's a non-Remington replacement?
Old 06-08-2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgoldsilverandlead View Post
"The handguard is also a non-Remington replacement."

Okay, John. Your reputation as a wizard is obviously well earned.

HOW do you know it's a non-Remington replacement?

The handguard does not have the profile of a Remington handguard. I can't be certain, but I think it's a Lawrence Lumber Co. handguard.

J.B.