Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2021, 11:30 AM

Default K98 with No Serial Number and Transfer Problems

This might be the wrong place to ask this, but maybe someone here has some knowledge.

I recently won a GB auction for a mauser action stamped DOT 1944. I was planning to use it as a project base for building up a K98.

Problem: I won the auction and was checking out the pictures when I noticed that I could not see a serial number. Curious. I asked my FFL would he would do with such a thing and he said he could not transfer it without a serial number.

Is anyone A) familiar with K98s that would have been unserialized. . . and B) knows how to handle this situation for transfer.

For the moment, my understanding is that this is basically contraband under the GCA and can't be legally transferred. If anyone has insight on the history of the action (or how to resolve the situation), I would appreciate your help.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:06 PM

I won a Winchester .22 rifle, on a GB auction several years ago. It was manufactured in the 1950s, and did not come with a serial number, from the factory. It was transferred to me with no problems.
Did the K98k have a serial number that was later removed? If so, it is probably trouble.

Last edited by jeffe; 04-25-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:11 PM

The seller says that there's no weld or filing that he can see. I'm googling a bit and finding that some K98s may have been built with unserialized receivers in haste and that putting the serial on the barrel was the practice. I'm trying to get the serial from the seller so I can confirm that it matches DOT production ranges in 1944.

It could be that my FFL just isn't familiar with the history and that a little evidence and the barrel numbers would be fine. I've cross posted at K98 forums to get their take as well.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffe View Post
I won a Winchester .22 rifle, on a GB auction several years ago. It was manufactured in the 1950s, and did not come with a serial number, from the factory. It was transferred to me with no problems.
Did the K98k have a serial number that was later removed?
Same here. Won a Remington 513T on GB manufactured in 1942 and the FFL couldn't find the serial number(underside of barrel) but said something about the age and did the transfer without the SN.....
If the SN has been removed, then that's where a problem might be.
Good luck!
Old 04-25-2021, 12:19 PM

Well, so far as the seller can tell, nothing has been removed.

It's gonna be awkward if my FFL says NOPE. I'll have to find one who is more flexible. . .which really illustrates the problem with all of these silly laws, but that's quite a bit off topic.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:28 PM

I have a couple of rifles from the 40’s without SNs. Pretty common. You can always put “NONE” for the serial number on any documentation.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:02 PM

Many mid to late war K98 actions were only serial numbered on the barrel, hence would not have a SN on the receiver if separated from its original barrel. So that in and of itself shouldn't be a concern as long as there is no evidence a SN was removed. Not sure what your FFL's policy is, but I have seen many guns sold ad transferred without a factory SN. They are recorded as "none" as mentioned. Maybe try a different FFL.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:16 PM

is there a serial number on the bolt? Use that
Old 04-25-2021, 01:20 PM

. . . . .then there is the Browning that marked the serial on the barrel . . . .ONLY!

If the barrel is ever changed, should the old barrel’s serial be applied to the new barrel?

I always wondered how Browning was able to get away with that.

Anyone know the answer?
Old 04-25-2021, 02:36 PM

The FFL says he's good with using the number off the barrel from a late war action. . .so I rolled the dice and sent the guy his check. Let's see. Should be a fun project if it works out.