Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
. . . . .then there is the Browning that marked the serial on the barrel . . . .ONLY!

If the barrel is ever changed, should the old barrel’s serial be applied to the new barrel?

I always wondered how Browning was able to get away with that.

Anyone know the answer?
My understanding was before GCA 1968, the rules were not clearly defined.
I have a Winchester shotgun from the 40's with no serial number, it is quite common.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:02 AM

Serial numbers which have been ground or polished off can sometimes be seen using certain chemical methods. The FBI and other law enforcement agencies have been using this technique for many years.

It is true that many older rifles and shotguns were not serial numbered. I believe that it was the 1968 Federal Gun Law that required manufacturers to put serial numbers on all firearms.

Foreign firearms, such as military Mausers, Mosin Nagants, and others often have short serial numbers, like perhaps only four digits. In recent years, imported military firearms are not only marked with the importer's name, but are also assigned a new US serial number (in addition to anything originally marked on the gun).
Old 04-26-2021, 10:12 AM

Years back I had Kar98k with the serial number on the barrel. Nothing on the receiver. They did that late in the war, not uncommon at all. I sold that gun years back, no problems then.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:44 AM

Looks like you already resolved this with your FFL, I was going to add: just go through a more experienced FFL.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:07 AM

A DOT 44 can be serialized on the receiver or the barrel...
Old 04-27-2021, 10:37 PM

I see a couple sporterized mausers every year that have clearly had the serial number removed. I just torch them. Not worth the trouble of trying to transfer. Now guns made pre-68 without serial numbers are fine. I guess the question is there a depression or flat on the receiver ring where a serial number used to be? Big difference between made without and removed.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgoldsilverandlead View Post
Well, so far as the seller can tell, nothing has been removed.

It's gonna be awkward if my FFL says NOPE. I'll have to find one who is more flexible. . .which really illustrates the problem with all of these silly laws, but that's quite a bit off topic.
The awkward part will lie with your ffl.

S/he may be a great guy/gal but their knowledge in ATF matters is sketchy at best. Hang with them for coffee and cartridges but leave the transfer stuff to someone who knows what they're doing

Bill
Old 04-29-2021, 05:30 PM

The GCA of `68 changed things in that all new firearms manufactured in the US or imported HAD to have SN's. There were lots and lots of guns made before then that don't have them. Usually inexpensive guns. Whether a foreign gun (made after 1898) could have one retro-actively applied and then imported---who knows. But unless you are a registered importer odds are that the question is largely an academic one anyway.

Today, black powder guns STILL don't need them, (to be imported) because those aren't considered firearms in the eyes of the ATF. Pre 1898 antiques? I think the same thing applies.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:13 PM

A later K98 would only have the serial on the barrel not the receiver with certain makers and on the the receiver and not the barrel with some....And some late war guns still both...Obviously this rifle was rebarreled by a gunsmith of sorts....Technically pre 68 when serials were not required...Gray area in this regard....Hope you know your atf in your area....
Old 05-02-2021, 12:09 PM

Pre-1968 guns do not need serial numbers, and are only problematic if an existing serial number has been removed.

Eli