Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2021, 04:34 PM

Default New Member looking to ID Dad's S.A. 1903

Hello to the Group,
I'm KP, and I recently discovered that my old .30-06 Springfield might be an NRA Sporter.
I've been hunting deer with it for about the last 12 years, and until this past season the old 4X Lyman scope my Grandfather had mounted on it seemed sufficient... until I had to pass up a 400+ yd. shot at a trophy buck 'cause I couldn't see it well enough to shoot confidently in the fading light of dusk.
So, I went to Cabela's and bought my Christmas present (from my wife); a new Vortex Viper 4-16 X 50 scope. The gentleman who sold it to me took me to the Gun Library to make sure my old .30-06 was safe to shoot modern ammo in before I bought a new scope for it. He introduced me; and the librarian looked up my serial number and confirmed it would be safe to shoot. "Do you want to sell it?," He asked. I thought he was just politely asking, since Cabela's buys and trades guns.
A few weeks later I took my gun back to Cabela's to see if I could exchange the scope rings for some that better suited my needs, and another salesman asked me if I wanted to sell it. I said, "No, it was my Grampa's, and I just want to see if I can shoot at a longer range than I have previously." He asked if I knew what it was, and I told him, "It's an old military Springfield 30-'06 with a custom stock." He said, "That's an NRA Sporter." I said, "a what?" and he showed me photos on his phone. He owns a gun similar to it, and showed me other photos from a book with guns that look a lot like mine. So, I bought Brophy's book on the Springfield Model 1903. According to the Serial #, I think it's a 1924 product. It looks like an NRA Sporter. One book says it should have a 20" barrel, another says it should be a 24". This one is a 22". The shape of the barrel looks right, but it has no marks on the end or underneath. The stock is checkered. It has the relief cut out in the stock for the Lyman rear sight, but no rear or front sight. I can't see any marks on the bolt, either. Also, it has a custom trigger and the safety has been modified & reversed.
Dad always said Grampy's .30-06 was "a military Springfield with a custom stock." I've had the gun for 15 years. If it is a rare or special edition, I'm sure Dad never mentioned it, even though it was a part of his very nice gun collection for over 40 years. His dad, Dr. C.J. Miller, was kind of famous in Nebraska from the 20's to the 50's for his gun collection and hunting prowess. He was featured in an Outdoor Life (I believe it was) article in the 20's about hunting Grizzlies in Canada. I shot the .30-06 a few times when I was in my 20's, and was always impressed with how accurate it was. I only knew Dad to shoot it a few times. I don't really know how much Grampy shot it, but I know he reloaded his own ammo long before the Great Depression, and owned and shot many guns, as well as sold and traded many more over a span of many years. For some reason, he held onto this one.
It still shoots accurately, and the muzzle velocity of ammo that my friend measured with his chronograph was the same as it was advertised to be... so I'm confident the bore is in good shape. I intend to continue shooting it, and am not interested in selling it. I would still like to confirm the identity and history of this rifle, if possible. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated!
The Serial # is 1,265,082. Thank you very much!
Old 04-28-2021, 07:39 PM

KP,
Welcome to the forum, Sorry, I can't help with identifying your rifle. Good luck and regards, Eddie
Old 04-28-2021, 09:31 PM

Thanks Eddie.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:48 PM

put a post over in this thread:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137260

Also get some pictures up and see if Mr. Beard or Rick the Librarian can give you some more information...
Old 04-29-2021, 07:53 AM

Default Posting Photos

Thanks for the tip on the thread and the photos, AZMedic... I need to find out how to post photos! Regards, KP
Old 04-29-2021, 08:26 AM

From the description it's hard to tell without a photo, but the serial number is in the basic range for the possibility of it being an NRA Sporter. Of course originals never had checkered stocks or 22 inch barrels, so at a minimum it sounds like it is heavily modified. Same for the scope mounting.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:34 AM

Thank you for your response, and opinion, Bigwagon!
Sincerely, KP