Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2021, 07:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheeks38 View Post
Been thinking about getting a 1903A3. I already have a Garand. What are some good reasons I to get a 1903A3? Are they more accurate than the Garand? More collectible? Trying to justify this to my wallet.

Any info would be appreciated
Well, has any of this convinced you to get a 1903A3 yet?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris_Bane View Post
This is the CMP forum. So, if you are talking about buying a 1903 on this forum, a natural assumption is that you want to buy one from the CMP. So my answer was based on the OP wanting to buy from the CMP.

Yes, there are other places you can purchase 1903's. These 1903's range from high end collectibles to de-milled rifles which are basically junk which will cost more to restore than they are worth. This fact leads to a much bigger question than "Been thinking about getting a 1903A3" such as, from what quality you are looking for, to how much are you willing to pay.
You make unique assumptions sir!
Jh

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
I'm to the point where I want one, but I really need to spend some money to get to reloading 30-06 since I have zero bullets to even put through my Garand at the moment.

How does the 1903A3 compare to the M1917 as far as ergos and shootability?
Old 05-17-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Not sure if it has convinced the OP or not but I am convinced.

I have always wanted one of each of American Military firearms. Preferably originals but may have to settle for repro's since I am not made of money and have yet to hit the lottery.

I do have two, an M1 and a repro 1863 Remington, and a M1911 soon. Not much but it is a start,,,

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheeks38 View Post
I'm to the point where I want one, but I really need to spend some money to get to reloading 30-06 since I have zero bullets to even put through my Garand at the moment.

How does the 1903A3 compare to the M1917 as far as ergos and shootability?
1. Practicality has no place in this thread. Buy the rifle, leave the ammo for another day.
2. The 1917 is heavier. Some people think that means less recoil, once I learned to shoot with a sling this became something I don't notice anymore. The 1917 has superior sights (a subjective opinion shared by many, not all) to the 1903, and probably the 1903A3 other than no windage adjustment. It's uglier (subjective) and less common. None of that matters, if you buy a 1903 then you will need the 1917 shortly. And if you buy the 1917, the 1903 will be calling.

I have 1903s, 1903A3s, and a 1917. What I prefer simply depends on my mood; none of them are inferior, but that too is subjective! I often bring my 1917 simply because I know most will be shooting a Springfield.

Kind of like listing 3-5 modern 9MM service pistols and recommending 1 to a friend new to pistols. Among the good ones it's all about personal preference; there is no junk.

FYI, CMP will happily allow you to buy a 1903, a 1903A3 and a 1917 on the same visit if they have them in stock.

So, bring more money, waste less brain cells, and thank Zvenoman for resolving this dilemma.

JH

Old 05-17-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
You make unique assumptions sir!
Jh
Whatever. I find your replies to be very nit-picky. There is nothing a said that isn't true about purchasing from the CMP. Because this is the "CMP Forms>CMP Sale>CMP Bolt Action Rifles" thread, I find my response quite appropriate.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=ceresco;2045706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
What’s your source for this conclusion?

Well: looking at the results of CP Nationals and regional games; the Springfield scores will top the M1......almost always. CMP Springfield medal scores have been higher than M1 medal scores--not much difference today, but Springfield still rules. This, even though the M1 has an advantage in the rapid fire phase. My own opinion has always been that the bolt rifles are clearly more accurate. I have cleaned many prones over the years but only shot 9x once--with an A3. Finally, I find the C stock better looking, but no better than the other Springfield stocks for shooting. In fact, the C stock is too big through the wrist for me and I get my thumb right in the teeth during offhand. Finally (again) I love the M1, the Springfield, the 1917 and all the US rifles.....and a lot of the foreign hardware as well. We are truly fortunate. Good Shooting. .. ADDENDUM: Availability. I usually see one or more Springfields at every (real) firearms auction that I attend. More A3s than 1903s, often sportered and prices are usually lower than CMP. I have bought too many to remember, this route. Last one a few days ago--near perfect A3 in a good Fajen stock for $325+16%. Metal was unaltered. It will be in GI wood soon and probably as good as I have ever seen......
Thanks for your real world experience.
I think most of us assume bolt guns are generally more accurate. I often shoot bolt guns in matches for the additional work it takes (breaking position, rapid fire makes it unforgiving). I have attended a few Appleseed clinics around the country, and while I loan out some semi autos setup for that I have only used bolt guns, again for the added challenge.
My rule: Don't seek the best, seek them all.
A colleague buys his limit of Garands every year. Last we discussed count (probably 5+ years) he was >60. I bet he couldn't pick a "best".
Yes sir, we are very fortunate.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:30 PM

Years ago, I owned a number of 1917's. Shot some of them, decided they were the most uncomfortable rifles I owned. Accuracy was NOT the problem. It's me as a shooter, my size, comfort with stock, sight, etc...It's me! I got rid of all of them and have no regrets.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:45 PM

I can give you an answer in three words: light, fun, accurate!
Old 05-18-2021, 10:04 PM

Hi Fellows,

This is a interesting thread. I have added my slight input early on.
I would like to narrow down the parameters we are posting about.

One rifle might be better for one type of match & not in the running for another.

1- May I ask about how many NRA or CMP match's & what type of match ZvenoMan & Fenris_Bane or others have attended in past years.

2- Your best two or three scores & with what rifle?

3- What were the distances the match was shot?

4- Did you use new over the counter match bullets , CMP surplus bullets or your premium handloads?

Thanks for your input,
broomhandle