Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2021, 07:51 AM

Default CMP Auction sky high: Whats so special this 03A3

This CMP auction has me stumped. What is so special and why ? I am not seeing anything but a 03A3 with common grenade launcher site on it (they are easy to find and cheap to buy still). Photo does not reveal some clue either.

Why would this bring Arc of Covenant attention and high value ? Please educate me.

Remington Model 1903A3 - 3919462
Listing # 6925

This rifle has a barrel marked RA 8-43. The muzzle gauges at 1. The throat gauges at 1. Rifle has a bright bore. Grenade sight mount was installed. RIA FK marking and FJA cartouche on stock. Proof marking and assembly inspection markings on stock. The stock is an 03-A3 stock.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:03 AM

People with money to burn.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:14 AM

Same as a lot of stuff there, I'd imagine: Provinence.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
This CMP auction has me stumped. What is so special and why ? I am not seeing anything but a 03A3 with common grenade launcher site on it (they are easy to find and cheap to buy still). Photo does not reveal some clue either.

Why would this bring Arc of Covenant attention and high value ? Please educate me.

Listing # 6925

This rifle has a barrel marked RA 8-43. The muzzle gauges at 1. The throat gauges at 1. Rifle has a bright bore. Grenade sight mount was installed. RIA FK marking and FJA cartouche on stock. Proof marking and assembly inspection markings on stock. The stock is an 03-A3 stock.
Why is it so much? How about this...

1) The receiver dates to Oct 1943. The barrel dates to Aug 1943. So it potentially the original barrel.

2) Remington inspected stock.

3) Grenade sight base. These are not often seen on surplus guns.

4) Metal part in fine shape. Stock in very good to fine shape.

5) Bore in Bore in excellent shape.

6) It is a Remington. That name recognition commands a higher price.

7) It is from the CMP.

This it basically a collector grade rifle and commands a collector grade price. I don't think $2,001 a high price for this quality of a rifle. I predict that it will probably go higher before the auction is done. It might go as high as $3,000. We will see.

If a firearm is at auction at the CMP, then it is because it is of a higher quality and rarer than and normal service graded.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris_Bane View Post

1) The receiver dates to Oct 1943. The barrel dates to Aug 1943. So it potentially the original barrel.

7) It is from the CMP.

This it basically a collector grade rifle and commands a collector grade price. I don't think $2,001 a high price for this quality of a rifle. I predict that it will probably go higher before the auction is done. It might go as high as $3,000. We will see.

If a firearm is at auction at the CMP, then it is because it is of a higher quality and rarer than and normal service graded.

someone that has a head on their shoulders.

market sets price for items that have provenance

NRA Endowment Life Member; Garand Collectors Association (GCA); Carbine Club; Ohio Gun Collector Assoc (OGCA) Life Member
Old 05-16-2021, 07:31 PM

Money in what separates the men from the boys in this world. Can’t understand why anyone, especially someone from another continent gets riled enough about how people spend their money.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:01 PM

no different than anything else that sells on the auction
Old 05-17-2021, 10:54 AM

The CMP Auction commands higher prices. This particular M1903-A3 is not worth that price, but guys get excited and will out-bid one another. It will likely go higher.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:45 AM

A buddy of mine "won" a M1C or D, I forget which one. Paid $8000.00 for it. CMP had re-parked and sanded the wood. He did not realize that and was very unhappy. He recently got ill and went into a VA Home. His wife immediately sold off his collection for spit. He had no idea. As we age buying expensive guns may not be the best idea. The wife or kids will sell it off for nothing, don't forget that.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris_Bane View Post

7) It is from the CMP.

Back during the height of the VFW returns/exchanges, not a one of those things you listed were particularly rare.