Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2021, 12:49 PM

I believe this forum and more specifically the store reports, have a lot to do with high auction prices. Many don’t have the opportunity to be at the store when a particularly nice rifle is available. Their desire is piqued by reading the reports and buying via auction is actually cheaper than a lengthy and costly trip that may end up fruitless. This way they get what they want at an agreeable price!! IMO
Old 05-17-2021, 08:40 PM

Currently at $3550. The stock is pretty beat up and it has a RIA/FK stamp, not what I would call collector grade but maybe to someone else. But certainly not worth the current price. I've seen and own better

Last edited by Farmer-Ted; 05-17-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer-Ted View Post
Currently at $3550. The stock is pretty beat up and it has a RIA/FK stamp, not what I would call collector grade but maybe to someone else. But certainly not worth the current price. I've seen and own better
Have to agree.

Late last year I bought one in much nicer condition that checks all the same boxes except for a replacement magazine cut-off lever and no grenade sight. And, of course, it came from a non-CMP auction. Less than 1/5th of the current auction price.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:33 PM

The money, by the way, is going to fund Civilian Marksmanship Programs. Shouldn't be any problems about that. There are finite number of stuff for CMP to fundraise with.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif-Steve View Post
A buddy of mine "won" a M1C or D, I forget which one. Paid $8000.00 for it. CMP had re-parked and sanded the wood. He did not realize that and was very unhappy. He recently got ill and went into a VA Home. His wife immediately sold off his collection for spit. He had no idea. As we age buying expensive guns may not be the best idea. The wife or kids will sell it off for nothing, don't forget that.
Oof. Yeah, I’m hoping to live long enough to fill in some holes in my main collection focus (representative US long arms - have gotten back to 1865 but have three-ish non-unobtanium holes depending on how you look at it), push the collection further back into the past, and maybe branch out (carbines, snipers etc) a bit. But you raise a good point - after that I need to live long enough that the heirs know what they’ve got (at least if they decide to sell they can say “Provenance: Snowstorm collection” at the auction LOL).

Last edited by LeadSnowstorm; 05-19-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
The money, by the way, is going to fund Civilian Marksmanship Programs. Shouldn't be any problems about that. There are finite number of stuff for CMP to fundraise with.
I suspect that not a single person in the thread has a problem with that.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
I suspect that not a single person in the thread has a problem with that.
Hi Posters,

Very true! The other side of the coin is am I really getting the best item for the money! Have I done a serious search to KNOW what I'm buying?

A PURE donation is one thing like a charity auction or investing your money for the best example he or she can find is another.
I truly hope the CMP does well & the buyer is happy two weeks later!

Enjoy every day,
broom
Old 05-20-2021, 10:06 AM

The flip side is I cant really think of a single thing the CMP sold or auctioned off 10 years ago that isnt worth more today than the price paid then.

Even the people complaining about the $1000 for the 1911's will be bragging about only paying $1000 ten years from now.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7cook View Post
The flip side is I cant really think of a single thing the CMP sold or auctioned off 10 years ago that isnt worth more today than the price paid then.

Even the people complaining about the $1000 for the 1911's will be bragging about only paying $1000 ten years from now.
I guess that may be true....but would you invest in the stock market and want to wait 10 years to recover your initial investment?
Old 05-20-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7cook View Post

I think many discussions exist about how CMP auction items sold for MUCH more than the current market value.
Many claim the reason must be because people want to donate to CMP. I am sure that accounts for (a small) part of it, how about people just suffering from auction fever, coupled with thinking that the CMP provenance somehow makes just about any price justified?

I'm not criticizing the CMP auction or any buyers, but many. many purchases over the years have stumped the many posters on this forum alone.
Another item is CMP sees a pretty high percentage of winning bidders back out. No way to know if more than other auction sites, but it is a thing.

In recent months ordinary 1911 mags were on the auction site frequently and went for much more money than the current market for current, unissued, modern and not vintage or rare mags. Greek toothbrushes found in M1 traps. Gun cases. And then the many items like the one in this thread.

I think proving existence of UFOs is more likely than explaining some CMP auction prices :-)

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread